Hello,

Slurm definitely will work in a single machine. I've installed it like that
in several machines.

In your case, you seem to be missing the systemd files (right at the bottom
of your systemctl status slurm*d it says "Reason: No such file or
directory"). I assume you compiled Slurm, rather than install a package.
Slurm will *not* install these files by default (at least if you do a make
install). You'll find these files in the ./etc directory, relative to the
directory that you get from the tar.gz file. You'll need to copy them to
the appropriate directory, making sure they are in accordance with your
slurm.conf (e.g. make sure the /var/run/slurmd.pid is what the systemd file
is looking at). I don't know the exact directory in an Ubuntu system[1],
but in a CentOS it's: /usr/lib/systemd/system
You'll also need to make sure the directories you mention do exist, like
/var/spool/slurm
Concerning Munge, you seem not to be using it (CryptoType=crypto/openssl).
I've never tried SSL, but since you do have Munge installed, I'd suggest
moving to it.

Best,
Daniel

[1] - You can check the right directory by looking at the output of a:
systemctl status <a program you do have installed, e.g. munge> There will
be a path to the service file.

On 31 October 2016 at 15:11, Peixin Qiao <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi Lachlan,
>
> My slurm.conf is as follows:
>
> # slurm.conf file generated by configurator easy.html.
> # Put this file on all nodes of your cluster.
> # See the slurm.conf man page for more information.
> #
> ClusterName=peixin-Inspiron-660s
> ControlMachine=peixin-Inspiron-660s
> #ControlAddr=
> #
> AuthType=auth/none
> CacheGroups=0
> CryptoType=crypto/openssl
> #MailProg=/bin/mail
> MpiDefault=none
> #MpiParams=ports=#-#
> ProctrackType=proctrack/pgid
> ReturnToService=0
> SlurmctldPidFile=/var/run/slurmctld.pid
> SlurmctldPort=6817
> SlurmdPidFile=/var/run/slurmd.pid
> SlurmdPort=6818
> SlurmdSpoolDir=/var/spool/slurmd
> SlurmUser=slurm
> #SlurmdUser=root
> StateSaveLocation=/var/spool
> SwitchType=switch/none
> TaskPlugin=task/none
> #
> #
> # TIMERS
> InactiveLimit=0
> KillWait=30
> MinJobAge=300
> SlurmctldTimeout=300
> SlurmdTimeout=300
> Waittime=0
> #
> # SCHEDULING
> FastSchedule=1
> SchedulerType=sched/backfill
> SchedulerPort=7321
> SelectType=select/linear
> #
> #
> # LOGGING AND ACCOUNTING
> AccountingStorageType=accounting_storage/none
> ClusterName=cluster
> JobCompType=jobcomp/none
> JobCredentialPrivateKey = /usr/local/etc/slurm.key
> JobCredentialPublicCertificate = /usr/local/etc/slurm.cert
> #JobAcctGatherFrequency=30
> JobAcctGatherType=jobacct_gather/peixin-Inspiron-660s
> SlurmctldDebug=3
> #SlurmctldLogFile=
> SlurmdDebug=3
> #SlurmdLogFile=
> #
> #
> # COMPUTE NODES
> NodeName=peixin-Inspiron-660s CPUs=4 RealMemory=5837 Sockets=4
> PartitionName=debug Nodes=peixin-Inspiron-660s Default=YES
>
> The result for command systemctl status slurmctld:
> slurmctld.service
>    Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
>    Active: inactive (dead)
> The result for command systemctl status slurmd:
> slurmd.service
>    Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
>    Active: inactive (dead)
>
>
> Best Regards,
> Peixin
>
> On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 6:51 PM, Lachlan Musicman <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> I think it should. Can you send through your slurm.conf?
>>
>> Also, the logs usually explicitly say why slurmctld/slurmd don't start,
>> and the best way to judge if slurm is running is with systemd:
>>
>> systemctl status slurmctl
>> systemctl status slurmd
>>
>>
>>
>> cheers
>> L.
>>
>> ------
>> The most dangerous phrase in the language is, "We've always done it this
>> way."
>>
>> - Grace Hopper
>>
>> On 31 October 2016 at 10:34, Peixin Qiao <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> I installed slurm-16.05.6 on ubuntu 16.04 on one node.
>>>
>>> When I started slurmdctld and slurmd, it does not start.
>>>
>>> I input sinfo, the output is: slurm_load_partitions: Unable to contact
>>> slurm controller (connect failure)
>>> I input: ps -ef | grep slurm, there is no output.
>>>
>>> Best Regards,
>>> Peixin
>>>
>>
>>
>

Reply via email to