Flo via Mailman-users writes:

 > I was hoping for a links where I can choose immediately after
 > clicking if I want to be enabled or stay disabled.

There is a mechanism that can be adapted for this (RFC 8058
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8058/> "One-Click Leave").
However, this is not yet implemented in Mailman.  (It is on my
personal to-do list if nobody else gets there first.)

But I don't see how it solves your problem, because the user is very
unlikely to receive the link in a timely fashion.  The RFC 8058 links
expire fairly quickly (a day or so) so that they are not likely to
inadvertantly or maliciously unsubscribe the user.  That means that
they can't look in their saved mail for the link, assuming they even
keep it.  On the other hand, if Mailman sends mail to your user for
any reason, and it does *not* bounce, they will be re-enabled
automatically.  In that case the link is unnecessary.  Let me know if
I'm missing something about your users.

If you want to continue to look for improvements in service to your
"naive" users, I'd be happy to explore them.  For example, if your
users use Gmail or other state-of-the-art providers, then they have
access to a "social account" that can be used to log in to Mailman as
well.  I have *not* thought this through, so no promises, but it might
be reasonable to use a RFC 8058-style link to one-click link a "social
account" to their Mailman account.  It's not quite "single sign-on",
but it's one less password, etc.  Of course how useful that is depends
on exactly why you think setting up and logging in to an account is a
blocker for your users, but if you describe that we may come up with
some ideas.

I personally can devote very little time to work on this until Summer
of Code is over, though.

Steve

-- 
GNU Mailman consultant (installation, migration, customization)
Sirius Open Source    https://www.siriusopensource.com/
Software systems consulting in Europe, North America, and Japan
_______________________________________________
Mailman-users mailing list -- [email protected]
To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]
https://lists.mailman3.org/mailman3/lists/mailman-users.mailman3.org/
Archived at: 
https://lists.mailman3.org/archives/list/[email protected]/message/6OKL4NVCA7MFQHZYRCPRKTPMCS5P5XQI/

This message sent to [email protected]

Reply via email to