Hi Dark,

Hmm...Honestly I don't know either. I only spent a few minutes looking
at each, comparing them, so my experience in comparing iPhone to
Android is rather limited in comparison to someone who uses one on a
daily basis. I'm pretty sure that the iPhone probably is a bit better
in terms availability of accessible apps and accessibility in general,
but its the cost and the proprietary nature of the phone that has me
hesitate at using it.

The one thing I like about Android is that it is largely open source
and is not fully proprietary. That rather suits my preferences as I
don't use a lot of commercial or proprietary software on my computers
either. Yes, I will use Windows for development for commercial apps
and games, but I consider it a necessary evil. Otherwise everything
else I use for myself personally is open source like Linux with
LibreOffice, Firefox, the Orca screen reader, Thunderbird, etc. So I
am attracted to Android for precisely the same reasons, but if
accessibility isn't that functional or I am not able to find
equivalent apps then of course I have little choice but to pay the
higher cost for the iPhone.

Cheers!


On 11/9/13, dark <[email protected]> wrote:
> Well Tom I can't comment on the development angle, but one thing I will say
>
> about the Iphone is I've been surprised just how many things it has prooved
>
> useful for just through it's default functions.
>
> Siri for example I've found great as a note taker, if a person tells me some
>
> information I need to take a quick note of, it's extremely easy (and
> accessible), to just use siri's note function by speaking into the phone.
>
> I also really like siri for reminders and calindars, since again, while
> there ar! programs to use this you have to remember to use them, where as
> siri you can just say "Remind me at 9 am tomorrow to phone the vet" or "set
>
> my alarm for 7 am tomorrow).
>
> While the phone does cost a lot, I've been surprised how much it's been
> useful for, and indeed will continue to be in the future, (i'm looking at
> getting an italian dictionary ap on the phone not to mention a satnav).
>
> I bought it essentially as a bit of fun, albeit a very expensive bit of fun
>
> as a reward for finishing the initial completion of my doctorate last year,
>
> but I've been quite amazed at how much more it's done sinse then, a lot of
> which I believe is rather Iphone specific, such as siri.
>
> Of course, there are! things i dislike. I dislike for example having to muck
>
> about with itunes just to put books and music onto the phone, and also the
> way it utterly ignores any folder structure or file names I have on my pc in
>
> favour of what are often quite arbitrary tags, (the only workaround I've
> found for this is creating a playlist, dumping the contents of one of my pc
>
> folders into it, then renaming the playlist, and deleting it when I'm
> done).
>
> I also personally dislike how hard it is to create folders, and the way I
> can't completely customize the interface. For example, I'd like the game
> center icon on page 2 of the display with my games.
>
> All that being said I've no regrets of buying the phone, indeed I found a
> very nice contract that let me buy it progressively along with providing
> better service than I'd had on my previous phone company, which was an
> advantage.
>
> Of course I freely admit I know much less about Android than Ios, but I do
> wonder whether it'd have so many conveniently available instant functions or
>
> random uses, quite aside from it's use in games.
>
> All the best,
>
> Dark.

---
Gamers mailing list __ [email protected]
If you want to leave the list, send E-mail to [email protected].
You can make changes or update your subscription via the web, at
http://audyssey.org/mailman/listinfo/gamers_audyssey.org.
All messages are archived and can be searched and read at
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected].
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the management of the list,
please send E-mail to [email protected].

Reply via email to