Comments and suggestions:

On many Fire pumps, the drip cup outlets are 3/8” NPT. I always recommend increasing immediately to 1” and use CPVC or PVC for drip cup drain piping. I also recommend not to solvent cement the joints in this drain line to make it easier to upkeep it. 

I also recommend leaving an outlet with a 1/2” valve and garden hose connection on the jockey pump suction piping. I use this connection and a short piece of hose to flush out the drip cups and the drain piping. 

I hope this helps someone. 

John

John August Denhardt, P.E.
Vice-President Engineering and Technical Services
American Fire Sprinkler Association 
301-343-1457

On May 11, 2023, at 9:57 AM, Chris Dorn <[email protected]> wrote:



Tiny little ½ drain holes which constantly get plugged up and overflow running water all over the base and floor. Why these aren’t larger is beyond me.

Chris Dorn

 

<image001.png>

 

 

 

From: Brian Harris <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2023 11:39 AM
To: Discussion list on issues relating to automatic fire sprinklers <[email protected]>
Subject: [Sprinklerforum] Re: Fire Pump Drains

 

Thank you.

 

Brian Harris, CET

BVS Systems Inc.

bvssytemsinc.com

 

 

From: [email protected] <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2023 11:37 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [Sprinklerforum] Re: Fire Pump Drains

 

Yes. The pump packing leaks into a semi-tray, which has piping connections on the bottom.

 

R/

Matt

 

From: Brian Harris <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2023 9:35 AM
To: Discussion list on issues relating to automatic fire sprinklers <[email protected]>
Subject: [Sprinklerforum] Re: Fire Pump Drains

 

Matt-

All the fire sprinkler plans I’ve ever seen with pumps never show a drain coming off the suction or discharge piping. Is it drained through the pump casing?

 

Brian Harris, CET

BVS Systems Inc.

bvssytemsinc.com

 

 

From: [email protected] <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2023 11:30 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [Sprinklerforum] Re: Fire Pump Drains

 

As each system is required to have a drain, I am not sure I understand the question..?

 

R/

Matt

 

From: Brian Harris <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2023 9:23 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [Sprinklerforum] Fire Pump Drains

 

Installing a Dry system fed from a pump and while running the 2” drain outside the building from the dry valve it dawned on me we never show a drain for the wet system. I’m assuming that’s taken care of from the casing drain on the pump?

 

Brian Harris, CET

BVS Systems Inc.

bvssystemsinc.com

Phone: 704.896.9989

Fax: 704.896.1935

 

 


_________________________________________________________
SprinklerForum mailing list:
https://lists.firesprinkler.org/list/sprinklerforum.lists.firesprinkler.org
To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]
_________________________________________________________
SprinklerForum mailing list:
https://lists.firesprinkler.org/list/sprinklerforum.lists.firesprinkler.org
To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]

Reply via email to