Hi Nick,

I appreciate your take on the Android verses iOS debate. For the most
part I agree for someone like me investing into both platforms
eventually would be the best thing from a business oriented point of
view. Right now though I just need an accessible phone, and because I
am going through a very costly divorce I don't have a lot of money to
throw down for phones, tablets, whatever. I just need an accessible
phone for a reasonable price. If I can get some accessible games to
play on it all the better. Otherwise I'll just buy the least expensive
phone I can get that offers decent accessibility. The way I see it I
can always upgrade or buy a better phone whatever when I am
financially back on my feet again.

Cheers!


 On 11/12/13, Dakotah Rickard <[email protected]> wrote:
> Ok. I'm grabbing onto this topic a bit late, but here goes.
>
> I have used an iPhone 5 for a year now, and it's changed my life. I
> grabbed up a cheap crappy Android device at the beginning of April
> this year, but it ran I think Android 2.6, so it wasn't very fun.
> Still, finding that I could actually use it gave me hope. About two
> months ago, I bought a Nexus 7 FHD and have been slowly gaining in
> both proficiency and respect for the Android platform.
>
> Here's my take on the main issue, games, with some sub-issues below.
>
> First, there's a game, Star Traders, which I really like. It's
> available on both iOS and Android, though there are some slight
> differences. The Android version does some odd stuff, but it's
> useable. I haven't figured out how to make the ChoiceOfGames games
> work, and I've tried several of them. I can't read the pages and I
> can't seem to find the radio buttons, but if some people say they
> work, they work.
>
> As for other games, the big problem is that the ExploreByTouch feature
> of Android was added in 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, and some games were
> developed before that, so you either have to turn off Explore By Touch
> or suspend Talkback, Android's native screen reader. IOS offers the
> triple click home command to enable and disable Voiceover, but Google
> hasn't implemented anything like that for Talkback, so you have to do
> a bit of fiddling to make it work.
>
> Finally, as for development, you're absolutely right. It is very
> possible to make accessible apps on Android; it's just that most
> people don't really bother. It can even be free to make said apps,
> which is great. Why throw down cash if you don't have to.
> However, to be fair to the iPhone, there are other options to buying a
> Mac and learning Objective C. The easiest is using a port of C#, a
> programming language with which you are either familiar or can easily
> become familiar, as it's rather like Java. There are other options,
> though they escape me for now. The port of C# does cost money, but
> it's $400 or $450, I think, rather than thousands.
> Also, there's the pickiness of Apple's App store, and the developers'
> program charges, but it's a question. There are plenty of people using
> Android devices successfully, as it's now a much more accessible
> platform than it was, but the majority still use Apple's product
> lines. That means that you'd maximize profits, even given the
> additional costs, by going the iOS route. Still, if you go with
> Android, you'll be putting little money down, eaning you can charge
> less and still profit.
>
> In my humble opinion, the best solution would be play the fence, as
> I'm doing. Essentially, if you can afford to do so, buy both.
>
> finally, some cautionary advice that you probably already know.
> The most wonderful thing about Android is that it's got a lot of open
> source elements, though some of the elements most crucial to Android
> are being swallowed up by Google and made closed source. Android
> transitions smoothly between various apps providing various functions,
> whereas Apple has each app sandboxed, meaning that even a simple thing
> like sending an email with an attachment is pretty nearly impossible.
> However, Android is highly fragmented. Many, many people still use
> older devices (before 4.0) with crappy accessibility and poor support.
> The only devices which are guaranteed an update are Nexus devices, and
> even these aren't sure things, as the recent drop of the Galaxy Nexus
> shows.
>
> The safest bet, in my opinion, is to buy an iPhone and a Nexus tablet,
> as I've done. First and foremost, they are both at the beginning of
> their current tech cycles, and secondarily, this allows you to have
> the portability of the iPhone for day to day tasks like calling and
> navigation, but it allows you to have a dedicated amusement device in
> the Nexus. Given that a new 16 GB nexus is $230 or so, and given that
> a new 16 GB iPhone 5s is $200 or so on contract, you're throwing down
> a little under $500 for the devices and gaining a foothold on both
> markets.
>
> Still, whatever choice you make, I'm sure that great things are to come.
>
> I wish you luck.

---
Gamers mailing list __ [email protected]
If you want to leave the list, send E-mail to [email protected].
You can make changes or update your subscription via the web, at
http://audyssey.org/mailman/listinfo/gamers_audyssey.org.
All messages are archived and can be searched and read at
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected].
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the management of the list,
please send E-mail to [email protected].

Reply via email to