As far as I know, the description in PESN is accurate. This is shaping up to
be an important test. It may not be definitive, but it will probably be
better than the previous tests done by Rossi and Levi.

Josephson wrote: "It has only cosmetic value if distinguished non-experts
are observers." I told that to Rossi several times, and so did Josephson and
others. Without an expert it will be somewhat cosmetic, but if the test is
conducted as planned, I think it will be pretty good even if only
non-experts attend. Especially if they run the machine for hours with no
input, as planned.

Rossi is unpredictable and it is hard to say whether things will really be
done as announced.

I believe that Rossi sincerely wants to convince people his device is real.
I do not think there is the slightest chance he has illustrated fake device
to Krivit or to anyone else. I also think he is not very good at doing
tests. The previous tests have been flawed, and unconvincing. For example,
even though they used a flowmeter during the 18-hour test in February 2011,
they neglected to tell anyone what kind of flowmeter it was, and what it
registered in instantaneous and cumulative readings. This is sloppy. It is
unprofessional. Based on all that I know about Rossi, and what he has
written in his blog and told me, I do not think these shortcomings have been
deliberate. This is not Rossi's secret plan to make himself look bad, to
fend off the competition with mental jujitsu. This is what it appears to be:
sloppy work. These are people who do not bother to write down what sort of
flowmeter they use, and who did not bother to keep a log and write down the
flowmeter readings every 10 minutes.

If you want people to believe your results you should write a properly
formatted report listing the make and model of every instrument. I told
Rossi that, verbatim, recently. I hope he & the others will do that this
time.

I think Rossi is not good at doing tests & experiments. Neither is Arata,
yet Arata is indisputably a Class A genius. He is one of the most important
and prolific discoverers of the 20th century, in league with Edison. So the
ability to do good tests is not necessarily a reliable criterion to judge
how smart someone is, or whether a claim is valid.

People here should be careful not to judge Rossi by his personality or his
ability to do tests and write papers. We tend to assume that very smart
people are capable of a wide range of things and especially good at
communicating. Many of them are. People such as Storms, Boss, Miles and
McKubre are not only superb scientists, they also write excellent papers,
and they give crystal clear presentations. Pam Boss in particular is a
pleasure to hear. She gets right to the point and tells you everything you
need to know, making even complicated results understandable. They were
trained to do that, perhaps more rigorously than young scientists are today.

It is a shame that Rossi does not communicate well, and that his thought
processes and work habits more closely resemble those of an artist or
sculptor than a research scientist. That's a shame, but that is who he is.
That is the kind of person he is. Some great inventive geniuses in the past
were similar. To reject him because he does not fit the pattern of a typical
skilled scientist would be throwing away the baby with the bathwater.

- Jed

Reply via email to