*ist-D and quite a few following models were .PEF OR .JPG.  Then there was a 
period of multiple options; the above or PEF and JPG.  Then came the option of 
changing PEF to DNG as the default, in addition to the previous.  I don't know 
if the last ever went away. 
> On 24/09/2026 17:27 BST John Sessoms <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
>  
> IIRC the *ist-D gave a choice between .PEF and .TIF; beginning with the 
> K10D the choice was .PEF & .DNG
> 
> I don't think Adobe had yet come up with their .DNG format when I got my 
> *ist-D in early 2004.
> 
> I went to Iraq with a PZ-1p, a whole lot of film and a Nikon film 
> scanner ... and just barely in time for the deployment the *ist-D
> 
> As it turned out there was no way for me to get the film processed while 
> I was in Iraq - other than to mail it home to the U.S. and wait for the 
> negatives or transparencies to return to my APO address - so without the 
> *ist-D I would have been SOL.
> 
> The Nikon scanner came bundled with Photoshop Version 5 and while I was 
> in Iraq I acquired a copy of Photoshop Version 7. And (again IIRC) the 
> first version of Adobe Camera Raw & Adobe Bridge was released during 
> that time (mid-2004)
> 
> Looking in Wikipedia, Adobe PhotoshopCS was released in October 2003 and 
> ACR/Bridge for Photoshop 7 must have been released later to maintain 
> compatibility or something. Anyway, I got them for free sometime in 
> mid-2004 about the same time the DNG converter came out.
> 
> While I was in Iraq I was still trying to understand digital and I sort 
> of fumbled back and forth between .JPG, .TIF & .PEF. I really wish I'd 
> known what I was doing at the time. I would have shot straight .PEF.
> 
> When I got back stateside I bought a shrink-wrap retail copy of 
> PhotoshopCS in April 2005 & when CS2 was released in May 2005 Adobe 
> allowed me a free upgrade.
> 
> I shot mostly .PEF until the K20D came out when I finally switched to 
> .DNG as my raw format.
> 
> I still have & occasionally still use the Nikon scanner. With ViewScan I 
> can save the scanned files as .DNG
> 
> On 9/23/2026 12:49 PM, John Francis wrote:
> 
> > On Wed, Sep 23, 2026 at 11:41:02AM -0400, John Sessoms wrote:
> >> One underrated advantage of the 'K' series cameras (Starting I think with
> >> the K10D) was the ability to shoot DNG as the raw file. No worries whether
> >> the latest version of Adobe Camera Raw would support the RAW file format 
> >> for
> >> new cameras
> > 
> > 
> > Yep. The *ISTD used .PEF as the raw format, but the K10D switched to .DNG
--
%(real_name)s Pentax-Discuss Mail List
To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]
to UNSUBSCRIBE from the PDML, please visit the link directly above and follow 
the directions.

Reply via email to