Oh, I meant

S26361-F3257-L8

There are also HBAs with external SFF-8088 connectors. Unless you find 
something cheap on eBay they can be considerably more expensive than the HBAs 
with internal connectors. 3Ware has LSI based cards in their product line that 
use SATA connectors directly on the board, some of them are likely to have 
ESATA but last time I checked they were not very cheap. Here is a list of HBAs 
with external ports that are LSI based:

External
LSI SAS3401E-R
LSI SAS3801E-R
(you can also check out LSI's SAS 9200 series cards if you want SAS/SATA6.0)
Dell Perc 5e
Dell Perc 6e (can they be flashed to IT?)*
**  
<http://www.kastl-gmbh.de/product_info.php?info=p7910_RAID-Ctrl-SAS-6G-0-1--D2607--S26361-F3554-L8.html>*Fujitsu-Siemens
 S26361-F3554-L8 (SAS/SATA 6.0)
Fujitsu-Siemens S26361-F3890-L13 (SAS/SATA 3.0)
HP SC08Ge (exactly the same card as the LSI SAS3801E-R but rebranded)

External&  Internal (combo)
LSI SAS3442E-R
HP SC44Ge (same card as the LSI SAS3442E-R but rebranded)

A more thorough list of Fujitsu-Siemens cards (most of them are based on LSI 
hardware) can be found here:

http://www.kastl-gmbh.de/index.php?cat=c15_SCSI-RAID-SAS-Controller.html&page=2

Supermicro has a few cheaper LSI cards too;

http://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/storage_cards.cfm

it might be worth checking them out too. A problem with some of these cards is 
that the components are on the opposite side of a normal PCIe cards and the 
bracket is not correctly aligned. They are pin-compatible PCIe ports but they 
don't fit the slot unless you make some adjustments. Thes cards are called UIO 
cards and have a slightly different form-factor than standard PCIe cards. Also 
be sure that it is a PCIe card you are looking at and not a PCI-X card. Also 
make sure you run these controllers in IT-mode (initiator-target which disables 
all hw raid functionality). Most LSI cards can.


Otherwise it could be a good idea to just connect an E-SATA bracket to one of the internal connectors of the HBA.

If you don't want LSI you could also check the Intel IOP333 and IOP343 as I believe that they also have native support in Solaris. I don't know about the IOP348. Just because one controller works it doesn't mean that another does even though it is from the same vendor. Marvell is a good example of that.

I spent a lot of time researching this a year ago when I was about to build an OSOL based NAS so I figured I could share what I have found out.

On 2011-01-13 20:29, Michelle Knight wrote:
Thanks,

Some of those are blistering cards, but the ones I've found are internal only.
I'm after two e-sata ports.

You could also look at S26361-F3257-L4 or S26361-F3257-L4 which is from
Are my eyes suffering with age, or are those two numbers the same :-)
_______________________________________________
OpenIndiana-discuss mailing list
[email protected]
http://openindiana.org/mailman/listinfo/openindiana-discuss


_______________________________________________
OpenIndiana-discuss mailing list
[email protected]
http://openindiana.org/mailman/listinfo/openindiana-discuss

Reply via email to