/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */


> -----Original Message-----
> From: Jason Walton [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> Sent: Thursday, November 11, 1999 12:52 PM
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: [Masq] Odd behavior with IP Masquerading
> 
> Hmmm... Well, I found a hack that seems to fix things...

I knew you were a smart guy and would get it on your own.  (ok, so I hadn't
found time to repond yet, but close enough).  :-)

>       I don't know if my earlier email got sent or not, so 
> I'll reiterate some
> problems I was having before:  When I did a "ping -l 1464 
> magma.ca" (ping'd
> my ISP with a packet 1464 in length) it came back fine, but 
> when I did a
> "ping -l 1466" the return ping would never come back.  Sounds 
> a lot like a
> fragmentation problem.

Sure does.

>       After much hacking, recompiling the kernel, reading and 
> re-reading the
> FAQ, and banging my head against a wall, I tried (on a hunch) adding a
> string key "MaxMTU" with value "1000" to my Win98 registry on the
> appropriate network device
> (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->System->CurrentControlSet->Services->Clas
> s->NetTrans->0
> 003) (Replace 0003 by your network card if you want to try this).

I suspect that you could set this value to 1464 (assuming that you were
'ping -l'ing from your 98 machine), or perhaps just smaller than that, and
it would still work.  

>       Now I can't send ping packets > 1373 in size, but 
> everything else works
> smoothly.

Hmm...

>       Hurah for Win98!

Not sure I'd go THAT far, but ok. 

>       If anyone knows exactly why what I just did worked (No 
> more fragmented
> packets bcause all my packets are so small?), and why it 
> broke ping more,
> please feel free to explain. :P

Essentially, yes.  The MTU is the Maximum Transmission Unit (see
http://www.whatis.com/mtu.htm for a better explanation of what that is).  I
didn't follow what kind of connection you're using, but for Ethernet, the
MTU is about 1500 bytes.  I'd have to assume that some device between you
and your destination can't handle packets larger than 1462 bytes.  Changing
the value to lower than this allows things to keep working properly.  Not
entirely sure why it broke ping again/more, I'll have to think about that
one a bit.  
        Greg

_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES 
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.

Reply via email to