/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */
Jason Walton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> Web pages load either extremely slowly, or not at all (or bits of them
> load and then the network connection eventually times out). POP3
> connections work fine up until a RETR command. I telneted into a POP3
> port by hand and I could do whatever I wanted, but as soon as a tried
> a RETR, the connection stoped responding. I can browse through FTP
> directories, but if I actually try to FTP a file the connection just
> dies.
All these symptoms are classic symptoms of a fragmentation problem.
That is, packets are being fragmented, and not all of the fragments are
arriving at their final destination to be reassembled.
Unfortunately you have already knocked out the "1500 MTU" bug as a
possibility, which leaves me without any ideas for what else it could
be.
> The linux box is setup with Kernel 2.2.12 and PPPOE V0.31, connecting
> to an internal network on eth0 (192.168.0.0/24) and the internet on
> ppp0, which is a ppp connection over eth1 to an xDSL modem.
PPPOE, that's a totally new concept for me. I'll have to go read up on
that...
At any rate, does your system work just fine if you do PPP directly on
the masq box, say, over a modem? Or is that not a situation you're
interested in trying?
[..trundling off to go read about PPP over ethernet...]
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fuzzy Fox) || "Good judgment comes from experience.
sometimes known as David DeSimone || Experience comes from bad judgment."
http://www.dallas.net/~fox/ || -- Life Lessons
_______________________________________________
Masq maillist - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.