/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */


I have a small private network (consisting of my machine, my GF's machine,
and a scavenged Cyrix 6x86 120 turned router).  I've tried to setup the
Linux box as a IP Masuerading machine, with some success, but I have some
very very strange problems.

>From a Masq'd machine on the internal network, I can ping machines on the
internet.  I can telnet, and I can do other simple functions.  I can play
Quake III Test without any problems.  I can't check email through POP3 or
surf the web though.  Web pages load either extremely slowly, or not at all
(or bits of them load and then the network connection eventually times
out).  POP3 connections work fine up until a RETR command.  I telneted into
a POP3 port by hand and I could do whatever I wanted, but as soon as a
tried a RETR, the connection stoped responding.  I can browse through FTP
directories, but if I actually try to FTP a file the connection just dies.

        The linux box is setup with Kernel 2.2.12 and PPPOE V0.31, connecting to
an internal network on eth0 (192.168.0.0/24) and the internet on ppp0,
which is a ppp connection over eth1 to an xDSL modem.

        Everything works fine if I'm actually running apps on the firewall
machine, so I know my connection to the internet is good.  Traffic flows
properly from the linux box to my machine (I've FTP'd large files back and
forth without any problems).

        According to ifconfig, no packets are being dropped, so everthing seems
good there.  I'm running a very very simple set of ipchains rules based on
the sample rc.firewall script in the IPMasquerading HOWTO.

        My MTU and MRU are both set to 1500 for the PPP connection, and the
ethernet connections are all at their defaults (which appear to be 1500
from an ifconfig), so it isn't the "differing MTU and MRU cause packets
with the 'do not fragment' bit set" bug.

        I'm not using IPAUTOFW.

        I'm at a complete loss.  Anyone have any ideas?

        It may be related, but I doubt it.  When I first fire up pppoed (PPP over
ethernet daemon) I get a ">>> Discarding: NO PPP device waiting! <<<".  I
sometimes get a number of these errors after killing my PPP connection to.
I can't figure out where they're comming from.  They aren't from pppd or
pppoed, since neither of them are running.  GREPing through the entire hard
drive (find / | xargs grep) for "NO PPP" and "device waiting" yielded 0
matches.

Special Agent Quartz - [EMAIL PROTECTED]                \O_
8.7`/`7.88.7`/`7.88.7`/`7.88.7`/`7.88.7`/`7.88.7`/`7.88   |
"Yeah, I'm your alter-ego, man."                          >\
"Then I must be the ego-man, koo-koo-k'choo"
                                -Yellow Submarine

_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES 
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.

Reply via email to