/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */
I sent this question to the SAMBA mailing list, but have received no
response. ;-( You folks seem more willing to answer newbie questions,
though...hopefully these won't abuse your good will! ;-)
I have a 3 computer home network:
Linux firewall: 2.2.10 kernel (yes, I know I need to upgrade it to fix the
strong IPChains rules bug), very basic IP Masq forwarding rules (no strong
IPChains rules), two NICs (one connected to ADSL modem, other connected to
an ethernet hub), and _ALL_ services disabled (telnet, ftp, r services, who,
finger, etc.) except for Apache 1.3.6 with Jserv (no cgi stuff, though),
one dual boot Linux/Win98 box, and
aonther Win98 only box, both of which have NICs connected to the ethernet
hub.
I would like to be able to share files and a printer between the two windows
boxes. From what I've read, this sounds like a job for Samba. My
questions, however, are these:
1) If I have configured my firewall correctly/securely, can I forgo Samba
and just enable file and print sharing on the Windows boxes? How secure is
this?
2) How secure would it be to run the Samba server on the Linux firewall
box? Wouldn't running Samba expose port 139 for possible attacks? Can this
be easily secured by IPChains (say by creating a rule to deny all requests
to port 139 not coming from the internal network)?
3) (This probably isn't directly related to Samba or IPMasq, but is
relevant to my file sharing needs) Is it possible to set up the partitions
on my dual boot box so that all partitions are always visible, regardless of
which OS happens to be booted at the time? Would I need Samba for this, or
do I need to alter something in my Linux/Windows configuration (fyi, I have
Caldera OL2.3 with Partition Magic and Boot Magic...could I use PM or BM to
allow all partitions to be viewed regardless of OS?).
Again, forgive me for asking such newbie questions, but I have had
difficulty finding answers to such apparently simple questions, even in the
"Teach yourself Samba in 24 Hours" book.
Regards,
Chris Todd
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
_______________________________________________
Masq maillist - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.