brucewilson3011--- via Mailman-users writes:

 > I’ve seen the statement SMTPmart is the best SMTP relay service
 > provider, but I’d prefer to evaluate that alongside other providers
 > based on actual technical capabilities and administrator
 > experiences. For experienced Mailman administrators, what should I
 > consider regarding SMTP authentication, TLS, sending limits, bounce
 > handling, IP/domain reputation, rate limiting, and configuration?

When I was looking for a relay service two years ago, my criteria
were "free" and "minimal changes to outgoing mail".  So I can't speak
to most of those issues.  Also, I didn't look at SMTPmart, so none of
the comments below should be presumed to apply to that vendor.

1.  All of those I looked at hijacked Message-ID.  This doesn't matter
    if you are purely pushing announcements.  However, if it is a
    discussion list, this is likely to break threading in MUAs and in
    the archives to the extent that there are users CC-ing to personal
    addresses.  Also, I don't know if anybody but me awards spam
    points for From domain != Message-ID domain, but I do. :-)
2.  I chose Sendgrid's free tier.  IIRC spam filtering was a
    $$$-option, I didn't have Sendgrid do it, in any case.
3.  Not sure what you mean by "domain reputation".
4.  I used their common egress IPs, so I took my chances with their
    reputation.  Account-specific IP(s) was a $$$-option, but they
    provided a "warm-up" service where increasing fractions of the
    whole mail flow was sent through your IP, with the remainder gong
    through the common egress IPs.  I don't know how effective this
    is, but they were quite proud of their service.  You could also
    bring your own IP with the same warm-up service.  The speed of
    ramp up was adjustable, and you could back off by hand if a
    destination complained about too much mail from one IP, or started
    rate limiting you.  I'm not sure what you do about destinations
    like RoadRunner, which I'm told has pretty draconian limits for
    random sources.
5.  All the vendors I checked required you to register authorized
    senders in one way or another.  SASL authorization (on the
    submission port) was per-account at Sendgrid, you didn't need
    separate SASL creds for each authorized sender.  Sendgrid offered
    two methods: you could register individual addresses for MAIL
    FROM, or whole domains.  MAIL FROM worked out OK for me.  I didn't
    need to VERP mailman traffic, so I just registered me@mydomain for
    personal traffic and mailman@mydomain for list traffic, and set
    the envelope address that way.  This wouldn't work for VERPed
    traffic, though.  Anyway, the registered sender policy of the
    vendor is a potential trap.

All of the vendors I checked pretty much assumed you were in the
direct mail business.  None had (publicly visible) help for discussion
lists.


-- 
GNU Mailman consultant (installation, migration, customization)
Sirius Open Source    https://www.siriusopensource.com/
Software systems consulting in Europe, North America, and Japan
_______________________________________________
Mailman-users mailing list -- [email protected]
To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]
https://lists.mailman3.org/mailman3/lists/mailman-users.mailman3.org/
Archived at: 
https://lists.mailman3.org/archives/list/[email protected]/message/RQNM464PC2RDCSPAD6EDXCBOPRXNXNB3/

This message sent to [email protected]

Reply via email to