Hello Tobias, Tore et. al,

I'm glad to see some pain points such as 2.6 being updated.
This has caused quite a bit of back-and-forth between me and the NCC
when sponsoring PI assignments for End Users.

Also a big fan of following nibble boundaries, will make domain object
management and growth a lot easier.

As Tobias mentioned, it would be nice if there was some kind of way to
document in the RIPE DB more-specific use-cases of your PI (with the
mentioned restriction making sense to me, to prevent sub-assignment),
but I think this is currently out-of-scope for this proposal.

Unfortunately, I do not have much more input, as most
concerns and/or questions I would have had, have already been asked by
others and answered by Tobias. :)

@Tore:
I currently hold 4x/48 PI, and I can confirm, these are charged "per
ticket" and not per object.

E.g: If you received 4x/48 PI in a single request from the NCC, you pay
the PI fee *once* for those 4x/48PI.

Lastly, I would like to mention I support the proposal and
would like to see how things develop.

Warm regards,
Jori Vanneste

On Thu, 29 Aug 2024 10:48:00 +0200
Tobias Fiebig via address-policy-wg <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello Tore,
> 
> > Yeah, ok, I can see that. Well, in an IPAM you'd normally want to
> > track which prefix belongs at which site, so you'll need separate
> > entries for each prefix anyway. You'd also get a few more inet6num
> > objects in the database (but the same number of route6 objects), but
> > disk is cheap. All in all it seems like the actual benefit of this
> > part proposal is not too big and the benefits do not extend to the
> > community at large (like limiting DFZ growth would).   
> 
> Still, it does allow for more consistent hierarchical addressing
> plans, easier ACL setups (as mentioned by Sander), easier
> (controlled) growth of networks (keep in mind that, at the moment, at
> least the /46 of a /48 PI is left unassigned), reduces overhead in
> terms of small growth, etc.
> 
> > Another thing occurred to me though. With the current fee structure,
> > an organisation with several sites would contribute €50 *per site*
> > to to the RIPE NCC's budget. With this proposal, as I understand
> > it, a huge organisation with 30000 sites could get a PI /33,
> > advertise 30000 /48s into the DFZ, and all it'd cost them is just
> > €50 per year. Good for the PI holder of course, but not so good for
> > the community.  
> 
> First, the maximum size for PI is limited to a /36 (always smaller
> than the smallest allocation, at the nibble boundary). 
> 
> Also, iirc, at the moment charging is based on _complete assignments_.
> I.e., as I understand it, that _one_ assignment process for 8192 /48
> for 8192 sites in _one_ process for _one_ customer would count as
> _one_ assignment, and hence only cost EUR75 _once_ per year. IIRC, I
> even saw somebody discussing the option of batching processes to be
> able to offer PI sponsoring cheaper/make more profit.
> 
> However, besides that, the charging scheme is outside of scope for the
> assignment policy. It would be relatively easy to adjust charges for
> PI based on size, e.g. (numbers grabbed completely out of thin air and
> _ONLY_ as an example!):
> 
> /48 .0625 * Annual LIR fee (for 2025 EUR 112.50)
> /44 .125  * Annual LIR fee (for 2025 EUR 225.00)
> /40 .25   * Annual LIR fee (for 2025 EUR 450.00)
> /36 .5    * Annual LIR fee (for 2025 EUR 900.00)
> 
> That, again, would be a matter for the charging scheme task-force to
> consider.
> 
> > It would certainly make economic sense for us as a public cloud
> > provider to terminate our LIR membership and go for this new PI,
> > since it explicitly allows hosting customer VMs and such (if it
> > weren't for the fact that we were also dependent on IPv4).  
> With caveats:
> 
> - There are no more specific objects, and if there might be in the
> future, i'd assume that they would be bound to have the same ORG-ID as
> the main assignment holder, being purely for documentary purposes.
> - The fee structure might change, see above, which is a task for
> another WG/the membership in general.
> - You will likely only get a /48 per end-site, up to a maximum of a
> /36 if you have more than 256 sites.
> 
> > I wonder if this has been considered, as it is not being discussed
> > in the proposal. I think I will wait for the impact analysis before
> > I decide where I stand on this part of the proposal.  
> 
> See above; I would argue that this specific part (connection to
> charging) is out of scope for the AP WG / a proposal here; But I _do_
> think that there are some good ways to solve this.
> 
> I will, hence, pick this point up for the arguments part of the next
> version.
> 
> > I wasn't aware of that history. Current policy does not mention
> > «layer 2» at all, so I wonder where that came from. Are layer 2
> > connectivity (like L2VPNs) and layer 3 connectivity (like L3VPNs)
> > treated differently today? Do we want that tomorrow, if so why? If
> > it shouldn't matter, I'd prefer some kind of technology-agnostic
> > term to be used here, like simply «connectivity».  
> 
> This is the result of policy interpretation by the NCC when applying
> the policy. I would be happy to change the term to 'any form of
> internal connectivity between two sites', pending that in the impact
> assessment the result would be the same, i.e., no longer merging two
> end-sites as soon as you have a VLAN tagged between them (or, even
> worse, directly a DF).
> 
> With best regards,
> Tobias
> -----
> To unsubscribe from this mailing list or change your subscription
> options, please
> visit: https://mailman.ripe.net/mailman3/lists/address-policy-wg.ripe.net/ As 
> we have migrated to Mailman 3, you will need to create an account with the 
> email matching your subscription before you can change your settings. More 
> details at: https://www.ripe.net/membership/mail/mailman-3-migration/
-----
To unsubscribe from this mailing list or change your subscription options, 
please visit: 
https://mailman.ripe.net/mailman3/lists/address-policy-wg.ripe.net/
As we have migrated to Mailman 3, you will need to create an account with the 
email matching your subscription before you can change your settings. 
More details at: https://www.ripe.net/membership/mail/mailman-3-migration/

Reply via email to