On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 2:16 PM, James Alexander <[email protected]>wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 11:08 AM, Nathan <[email protected]> wrote: > > > On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 1:55 PM, Marc A. Pelletier <[email protected]> > > wrote: > > > > > On 04/21/2014 12:07 PM, Nathan wrote: > > > > Of the 120 staffers that don't have a "staff account", how many have > > > > accounts with (WMF) in the username - or accounts at all? > > > > > > I honestly do not know the numbers, though I'd wager "most" is close to > > > reality - certainly any recent addition to the teams. > > > > > > > > Ah, interesting. I wonder why its necessary for most or all WMF staffers > to > > have accounts with an explicit WMF affiliation. > > > > Aye, given the nature of our work the vast majority of staff have a staff > account of some sort (not everyone uses separate accounts though we > strongly encourage them to). In the end almost everyone on staff has a > reason, at some point, to edit on a public wiki whether they are HR/Finance > ( discussions or postings about FDC proposals/budget publications etc) or > technical/community/grant focused. For many that need actually tends to > lean towards meta and/or mediawiki only though a fair bit stretch elsewhere > on the projects ( engineering and community people especially ). > > Philippe and I have worked hard to try and make the 'staff' user group as > it traditionally stands a very 'as needed' right and so the default is now > to give out no rights or "smaller", more focused, rights (meta admin, > central notice admin, global interface editor etc) that fit their need. ( > we ask for a use case for every rights request, you can see most of them > here > > https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AvhjkTJIpW2zdDl1bVBuOU1jQUJwOHd5YmhmSzFaZHc&single=true&gid=5&output=htmlsysadmin > rights aren't on there because they are generally handled by > engineering). > > Overall we don't actually require separate accounts at the moment but I > strongly encourage them, I think it behooves everyone to have a clear > distinction between 'personal' and 'work' actions and the separate accounts > help that significantly. I also think it helps in locking down access if > they depart the foundation at some point. > > James Thanks, that makes sense. After I asked I thought about project specific wikis, meta, wikimediafoundation.org, etc. I do see that any staffer may need access to one or more of these wikis, and with SUL that accounts get propagated across all projects anyway. _______________________________________________ Wikimedia-l mailing list [email protected] Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[email protected]?subject=unsubscribe>
