On 4/30/2013 3:54 AM, Michael Peel wrote:
On 28 Apr 2013, at 21:25, Andrew Gray <[email protected]> wrote:
I'm ambivalent about whether it's appropriate to have staff members
(those who don't independently qualify as "community members") voting
or not, but I think in principle Itzik has a very good point - either
*both* WMF and Chapter staff should be able to vote, or *neither*
should. I can't see any reason that it's right for a staffer in San
Francisco to participate in the election, but it isn't right for one
in Berlin!

(It may be too late to change anything for this time around, of
course, but it would be great if we could ensure consistency in future
elections)
I'd like to +1 on this, as that only seems fair to me - either we have an 
inclusive solution for all Wikimedia organisation staff, or we don't involve 
staff in the elections at all (unless they are also active community members).
I also agree that it would be best to treat all staff the same in this regard, whether they technically work for a chapter or the global foundation. I think that's particularly true because the technical employment arrangements don't necessarily line up with true function, and could lead to rather odd results in specific cases. As we've seen or could easily imagine, staff might be designated as temporary contractors, be delegated to work at another organization, or have their salary paid by one entity while working for another. All of these things could happen for perfectly good reasons in operational terms, but have no bearing on whether that person should be able to participate in these elections.
BTW, It might also be worth thinking about spreading the community elected 
seats over multiple years - at the moment, all three are appointed at once, 
which means that there's not necessarily any sort of continuity in the 
community's perspective on the board. Having two elected one year, and one the 
next year, might be a better solution to maintain continuity here.
This is a valid consideration, but I'd like to offer a counterargument, which is (at least in my mind) an important reason the rotation of board seats was set up the way it is now. As we've seen, the process of organizing and conducting these elections is a significant burden, especially on the volunteers doing the work but also for the candidates who choose to participate. I would suggest that it also imposes costs on the community at large in terms of the attention and energy directed to the election. I consider those costs well worth paying overall, but believe that it's also better not to run them up too often. I'm not sure that the benefits of this change warrant effectively doubling the load the process creates.

--Michael Snow

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[email protected]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l

Reply via email to