MarkI-ZeroPoint <[email protected]> wrote:

Here’s the real issue Jed…
>
>
>
> Didn’t you once argue vociferously, that science is NOT done by
> consensus???
>

As Damon Runyon said, "The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle
to the strong, but that's the way to bet."

What I am saying is that when you are an outsider to a field, and
especially when the issue is highly technical and takes years to master,
your best bet is to assume that the consensus is correct. This sometimes
leads you to make an error of judgement, especially a Fallacious Appeal to
Authority.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/appeal-to-authority.html

For example if you assume that the people at the DoE are experts on cold
fusion, you will incorrectly conclude their opinion on the subject is valid.

If you know little or nothing about a subject, it is safest to say: "I
assume the experts are right, but it is possible they are wrong. I cannot
judge."

Some technical issues are not difficult to judge. For example, most well
educated people have enough knowledge of statistics to see that vaccinating
children is safer than not vaccinating them even though in very rare cases
children die from vaccinations. Climate change, on the other hand is very
complex. I have read enough about it to confirm that. I have written
technical manuals and papers for the general public on cold fusion. I am
usually pretty good at judging when an area of science or technology can be
grasped by ordinary laymen -- or even a Georgia politician -- and when it
is likely to be far over their heads. Climate change is one of these things
that most people do not have the background to understand. You can see
that, for example, in two claims often made:

1. We cannot even predict the weather beyond a few days, so how can anyone
predict the distant future?

2. It is cold here this winter where I am in Washington DC, so there is no
global warming. (This is particularly ignorant when the southern hemisphere
happens to be experiencing record high heat.)

It is also a highly politicized issue, and politicized science attracts a
large numbers of irrational, angry people -- as you see the Wikipedia war
on cold fusion. It also attracts conspiracy theorists. In the case of cold
fusion, these are nutty people who think the oil companies have suppressed
it, and in the case of global warming they are equally nutty people who
think that large numbers of climatologists are gulling the public so they
can . . . live the high life of a researcher, with the hot tub, the babes,
the free booze, the 4 hour optional workday, the 7 figure income.



> And,
>
> I want to know what % of the ‘consensus’ (proponents), who are
> knowledgeable about the issue, AND, AND, AND, are NOT receiving some of
> their funding for climate-related research???
>

Probably not many. How can you do climate research without being funded by
some agency that funds climate-related research? This is like asking how
many cancer researchers are not funded by medically related organizations
such as the NIH, the CDC or the drug companies. Who else is there? Nobody
else funds cancer research as far as I know.

Some of the anti-global warming experts are paid for by fossil fuel
companies. I suspect that influences their judgement. Or perhaps their
judgement came first and that influenced the fossil fuel company to pay
them. I do not think that NOAA has quite so large a financial stake in the
outcome, because I am sure that we will continue studying the climate even
if it turns out global warming is not happening. NOAA will not be disbanded
if global warming is not happening, whereas the coal and oil companies will
be disbanded if it *is* happening. The motivations are unequal.


>

> I want to know exactly where each person is getting funding . . .
>

You can always find that out. All scientific papers published in the last
several decades always list the source of funding, in any legit journal or
web site.



> , or who’s ‘soft’ research position is being funded by climate-change
> related research, so their ‘opinion’ can be weighted appropriately.
>

That does not work. You cannot magically "weigh" people's judgement. That's
a logical fallacy. You cannot read minds. You might suspect that people
funded by coal companies have an ulterior motive to reach a conclusion, but
the only way you can prove that is to find a technical error in it. If you
do not have the knowledge to find a technical error, you cannot tell
whether it is valid or not.



> The internet and social media makes it soooo much easier to spread
> propaganda, to ‘manage the perception’, that I need to know how one’s
> livelihood is being funded… PERIOD.  FOLLOW THE $.
>

That may be a good way to decide whether there is reason to be suspicious,
but you cannot judge something as complex as climate change on that basis
alone. You have understand the technical issue in depth.

To take an easier case --

It was recently revealed that the Coca Cola Company has been funding
obesity research, and the researchers they fund were downplaying the effect
of drinking sugary drinks, and saying that the major cause of obesity is
lack of exercise. I suspect that is not true. I have seen other research
that disagrees. This is a lot easier to judge than climate change. I
suspect the research conclusions were influenced by the millions of dollars
paid by Coca Cola. I suspect that, but unless I were to read the papers
carefully, I would not know it for sure. As it happens, everyone knows that
looks bad, so Coca Cola withdrew support.

I do not see how funding from the NOAA could be considered as potentially
biased as obesity research money from Coca Cola, or global warming research
funding from the Greening Earth Society. (That is run by the coal companies
and it tries to show that global warming is desirable, and we should hope
for more of it.)

The NOAA is part of the Federal Government, and the Federal Government is
highly in favor of capitalism, U.S. corporations, banks, and so on. It
often leans over backward to assist them, for example in the 2008 TARP
"bailout" (which actually made a profit for Uncle Sam). People who think
the government has it in for big business, for coal companies and oil
companies do not much about the Federal Government or agencies such as the
DoE.

- Jed

Reply via email to