Here’s the real issue Jed…

 

Didn’t you once argue vociferously, that science is NOT done by consensus???  
If not then it was some other Vort…

And,

I want to know what % of the ‘consensus’ (proponents), who are knowledgeable 
about the issue, AND, AND, AND, are NOT receiving some of their funding for 
climate-related research???  

I want to know exactly where each person is getting funding, or who’s ‘soft’ 
research position is being funded by climate-change related research, so their 
‘opinion’ can be weighted appropriately.

 

The internet and social media makes it soooo much easier to spread propaganda, 
to ‘manage the perception’, that I need to know how one’s livelihood is being 
funded… PERIOD.  FOLLOW THE $.  

 

It’s all about ‘Perception Deception’… get a clue!

 

-mark

 

From: Jed Rothwell [mailto:[email protected]] 
Sent: Monday, December 14, 2015 6:28 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [Vo]:N. Y. Times article comment

 

MarkI-ZeroPoint <[email protected]> wrote:

 

Gee, how timely is this…

“Dr. Judith Curry is Professor and former Chair of the School of Earth and 
Atmospheric Sciences at the Georgia Institute of Technology. She delivered her 
verbal statement to last week's US Senate Commerce Committee Hearing on "Data 
or Dogma? Promoting Open Inquiry in the Debate Over the Magnitude of the Human 
Impact on Earth’s Climate."

 She too was then demonized and called a ‘heretic’ and ‘denier’ after she 
simply expressed her well informed opinion and suggestions as to how the field 
could improve…

 

Yes. As I said, no matter how well science is settled, you can always find a 
few experts within a field who disagree with the majority conclusions. I would 
not be surprised if there are some professional astronomers who do not believe 
the universe is expanding.

 

A minority always starts with exactly 1 person. In rare cases, it turns out 
that person is right, and the other 20,000 people in the field are wrong. It 
usually takes a long time to convince the others. That one person is usually 
demonized and attacked personally. You can find examples here:

 

http://amasci.com/weird/vindac.html#j38

 

This is human nature. It is politics, and politics are everywhere, in all human 
interaction and in all institutions. You can no more extinguish politics than 
you can escape from sexuality or dying of old age.

 

However, despite all that, as an outsider you should bet on the consensus. 
Unless you have some deep inside connections and you know that the institution 
is hopelessly corrupt and run exclusively by idiots, you have to assume that 
for that most part the experts there are correct.

 

It is important to understand that people can be smart about one thing and 
stupid about another. With regard to cold fusion the editors at the Scientific 
American are stupid. They are ignorant and closed minded. But with regard to 
other subjects they are not so stupid, and much of what they say is worth 
listening to. It makes me nervous reading the magazine because I can never be 
sure they are right . . . but that goes for every magazine you read. And every 
bank you deposit money into, every airline and hospital. From time to time, 
institutions we assume are professional and well run turn out to be a shambles.

 

When I first met Gene Mallove, he was an insider and true believer in the 
nobility of science. He had PdDs from Harvard and MIT. What could be more 
mainstream? He had the idea that scientists are open minded, fair, and that 
they embrace novelty and new ideas. I told him that scientists are pretty much 
like everyone else -- like most people they hate and fear new ideas. (I knew 
that because I read a lot of history, not because I am cynical.)

 

Gene later became so angry about the way mainstream science treated cold 
fusion, he swung to the opposite extreme. He began to think that any science 
maverick must be right, and the mainstream must be wrong. He thought all 
science institutions must be corrupt. I said then -- and I still say -- the 
situation is nuanced, and complicated. Both individual people and institutions 
can be a mixture of smart and stupid, fair and unfair.

 

One day Gene said to me with a sigh, "this does not end neatly like an Arthur 
Clarke story, does it?" He meant there is never a time when the scientists 
finally all agree, doubts are resolved, progress is made, and the next great 
adventure begins. I think what happens more often is what Planck described:

"A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making 
them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new 
generation grows up that is familiar with it."

 

Regrettably, this is not happening with cold fusion. The opposite is happening: 
the field is dying along with the generation who did the experiments.

 

- Jed

 

Reply via email to