First, please don't hyjack threads by replying to an existing post and changing the subject. Start a new message instead. You can add the list address to your address book for convenience.

On 04/25/2014 02:29 PM, Kelly Cobean wrote:
Hi all,
    I run mail for 5 or 6 domains on my server.  I have a few questions
regarding multi-domain hosting

1. What is the appropriate entry for the /var/qmail/control/me file
which I believe controls how qmail identifies itself for SMTP HELO/EHLO.

Any one of your domains is ok. The host name should resolve in DNS, but it doesn't have be anything particular.

2. What should the PTR record for my IP indicate?  Should it match the
hostname listed in /var/qmail/control/me?

That is best, although not required. There needs to be a PTR (rDNS) record for your IP address, and that PTR name must resolve to an IP address. That address doesn't necessarily need to match your host's IP address though, and the name of the PTR doesn't need to match anything in particular either. I makes sense if they do match though, and it may help deliverability.

3. Is it "normal" for a server that identifies itself as
mail.example.com to send mail for, say "[email protected]".

In other words, Is this an appropriate conversation?

220 READY
EHLO mail.example.com
OK
MAIL FROM: [email protected]
OK
RECEIPT TO: [email protected]
....

There's no problem with that. Think of google, or any other service that hosts multiple domains.

Is the mail server for sample.net going to care that a server which
identifies itself as being mail.example.com is sending mail for
[email protected]?  I would imagine this is very common, but is this also
not what spam often looks like?

Yeah, it's pretty common. Spam may look like that too, but spam filters can't effectively use it without hitting a lot of legitimate email.


--
-Eric 'shubes'


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]

Reply via email to