I've done a bit of research on this and I think identification to species is 
inconclusive, as there seem to be characteristics that favor  both Clay-colored 
and Brewer's. There is more confusion because I think the side of the face that 
shows a black semi-circle might be feather bases caused by the wind or ruffled 
feathers, since neither species shows this. Like almost everyone else I don't 
have extensive experience with either species, especially Brewer's, but here's 
what I've found from checking the Nat Geo, Sibley, Stokes photo guide, and 
Rising & Beadle's sparrow guide. 
 
There seems to be weak streaking on the gray nape, which I think should be 
stronger for Brewer's, but shouldn't be there for Clay-colored. The eye-ring 
seems a bit weak for Brewer's as well - could it be worn? The black streaks on 
the back are listed as good for Brewer's by Rising, etc, but Sibley paints 
Clay-colors with a similar pattern. Deborah Allen mentioned the tail looking 
short for Brewer's, and most books show Brewer's with a long tail. The overall 
color looks more like the grayish-brown of Brewer's. The face pattern doesn't 
look strong enough for Clay-color, but doesn't really match Brewer's either. 
 
The Stokes guide has a photo on page 666, bottom left, which comes pretty close 
to the Queens bird, but not quite. There is supposed to be a difference in the 
cheek color, but the previously mentioned black semicircle obscures this, 
although I think it's more gray (Brewer's) than buff (Clay-color). I don't know 
what to make of the faint blurry streaks on the side of the breast, but it does 
match the same Stokes photo. The pink bill is black on top, also good for 
Brewer's.
 
So to my eyes a real head-scratcher. Hybrid seems the easy way out, but I don't 
know much about worn or transitional plumages for either. 
In any event a very interesting bird, even if it's a dull LBJ.
                                          
--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to