/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */
Hi,
On the assumption that someone with a little knowledge might point someone
else in the right direction I'll attempt an answer. I know just enough
about dns and bind to keep my systems happy.
If I translated this properly. You are wanting to configure a shadow
namespace for my.domain.com with limited resolution on the internet and full
data internally.
I don't believe you can give out different info for different source
addresses from the same zone files (from the same instance of bind). You
might be able to do this using views in bind 9 (currently in beta) but I
haven't looked into it yet (though I think it's more a method of conditional
forwarding).
You can run split dns (two different dns servers) which give out different
information. I'm not sure if you can run two of the RH 6.1 builds of bind
on the same machine though there are instructions for compiling and setting
up your own at http://www.etherboy.com/dns/chrootdns.html
Traditionally you set up nameservers on 2 or more machines. Had the
external dns server configured with the abbreviated zone info. (That bind
knows nothing about your internal network.) But you set up the
/etc/resolv.conf to point at your internal network dns server. It knows
everything about internal machines (and this is where you should point the
internal machines) and forwards what it can't resolve to the external dns.
If you are limited to one instance of bind, you can setup more than one zone
to describe your setup and restrict access to the internal zone. For
example you list external addresses to zone my.domain.com your list internal
addresses to zone my.domain.local and limit queries to that zone using the
accept-query keyword set to your internal address range.
Hope that helps,
Lourdes
_______________________________________________
Masq maillist - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.