/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */


I am not sure if I am even asking a sensible question, but I guess we all 
learn by our mistakes :-)

I have a permanent connection with static ip. lets say its 123.123.123.123 
(its not but never mind). It is actually an adsl connection with a built in 
firewall/masquerading, so its not actually using linux ip-masq (or I guess 
it might be, heaven knows what they put inside the adsl modem LOL). 
Internally I have a mixed linux/windows network with private ip addresses 
in the 192.168.1 range. I want to get a domain name (lets call it 
my.domain) but I have to set up a dns zone. I intend setting up the primary 
nameserver for my domain on the internal linux machine. The adsl modem 
allows port-forwarding (it calls it pinholing) so I will get it to forward 
port 53 to the internal linux machine running named (bind 8.something from 
rh6.1).

I want dns to serve both my internal machines (i.e. translate 
boss.my.domain to 192.168.1.2, secretary.my.domain to 192.168.1.3 etc), and 
to provide my external dns settings for mx etc.

Well I have read the dns howto but I can't figure out how to make my 
internal mappings visible internally but invisible externally. i.e. I can't 
have my machines like boss and secretary, with their internal private ip 
address space visible to the Internet at large.

Can anyone tell me how to set this up?

_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES 
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.

Reply via email to