/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */


Welcome aboard. :)  Sorry if this is short, you've caught me as I was going
to bed.  If I've mumbled something in my sleep that doesn't make sense, poke
me in the ribs and ask me to repeat it in English this time.

> This is my first post, and it's going to sound familiar to a
> lot of you...

Frustration is familiar to us all.

> I'm running  a fresh install (3 hours old) of RH6.1 on a
> Celeron with 1
> pci network card and 1 isa (set for
> non-PnP mode).  Both seem to work just fine, I've switched
> them around and
> tested them in both roles.  I connect through an ADSL
> connection, but my
> DHCP lease is fairly long (3 days) so I don't really get any
> ip switching.
[snip]

> One side note... apart from wondering if I should recompile
> the kernel if
> I'm using a stock RH6.1 install...

You definitely need to grab the updates if you haven't already.  I grab test
kernels, but if you're learning what's going on I'd wait until everything
was working as expected before adding one more variable into the mix.

> in /etc/sysconfig/network, GATEWAY="192.168.1.254", and
> GATEWAYDEV="eth1".

I think this is the source of your problems.  With this setup I'd take a
guess that the packets from the windows box get sent here because this is
the gateway for that machine and then the packets get sent to 192.168.1.254
because you've set that as the gateway for the linux machine.

set GATEWAY="" and GATEWAYDEV="" you probably don't have one, gateway says
to send packets somewhere else for routing.  You are the gateway for the
Win98 box so it needs your info and the way to reach you.

> I've also got routing enabled through netconf, and routed is
> set to "does
> not export any routes (silent)" there also.  My hostname/domain is set
> to localhost.localdomain under netconf, although both get
> changed to my
> actual hostname/domain when DHCP runs.

You do have a default route set for the adsl connection (when it's up)?

> I've seen some RH6 posts on the web that mentioned that by
> default DHCP
> was handled by something called PUMP, and that it was recommended to

Actually I prefer pump to dhcpcd but they are both dhcp clients, both are on
the RedHat CD so you can take your pick.  (They are mutually exclusive
however.)

_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES 
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.

Reply via email to