/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */
Hi all,
This is my first post, and it's going to sound familiar to a lot of you...
I'm running a fresh install (3 hours old) of RH6.1 on a Celeron with 1
pci network card and 1 isa (set for
non-PnP mode). Both seem to work just fine, I've switched them around and
tested them in both roles. I connect through an ADSL connection, but my
DHCP lease is fairly long (3 days) so I don't really get any ip switching.
I've set up eth0 as my external interface on the pci card, and eth1 as the
internal one. eth0 is configured fine using DHCP, and eth1 is set to
192.168.1.1, netmask 255.255.255.0. I followed the old mini-HOWTO
(v1.50) step by step, and it seems that the RH6.1 kernel comes with all
the forwarding/masquerading options modularized (I haven't recompiled it
yet, maybe there's one I missed?)
I also checked ipmasq.cjb.net and looked at the new HOWTO, tried the
default script for kernel 2.2.0+. I uncommented the line for DHCP, and
put in eth0 in the right place there.
To cut to the chase... I have a win98 box I'm trying to route, with a
working network card. I've set it up as 192.168.1.2, gateway 192.168.1.1,
netmask 255.255.255.0, and the DNS server of my ADSL provider. I can ping
between the two boxes fine, I can telnet from the win98 machine to the
Linux server. The external interface works great from the linux box, I
can see and ping everything in sight.
The problem is, it's not really forwarding/masquerading any packets. From
the win98 box, I can't reach either hosts or ip addresses (so it's not a
dns problem). I can't ping anything except the gateway. I've tried a
zillion scripts sent to me by various lucky friends. I've echoed "1" to
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forwarding, and set FORWARD_IPV4 to "yes" under
/etc/sysconfig/network. Still no luck.
One side note... apart from wondering if I should recompile the kernel if
I'm using a stock RH6.1 install...
in /etc/sysconfig/network, GATEWAY="192.168.1.254", and GATEWAYDEV="eth1".
I've also got routing enabled through netconf, and routed is set to "does
not export any routes (silent)" there also. My hostname/domain is set
to localhost.localdomain under netconf, although both get changed to my
actual hostname/domain when DHCP runs.
I've seen some RH6 posts on the web that mentioned that by default DHCP
was handled by something called PUMP, and that it was recommended to
switch to dhcpcd. I don't know exactly where to find this, I've checked
rc.sysinit, /etc/init.d/network, /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
to no avail. In any case, it works fine and all my server settings get
filled in.
I'm stuck for answers. I've been wrestling with this for about three days
now, and I've kinda hit a plateau. Nothing I do really makes a difference
either way.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tudor
_______________________________________________
Masq maillist - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.