/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */



J. Mark Noworolski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> I did try this - that's why I'm stumped.. as follows:
> ipportfw -A -t 127.0.0.1/6119 -R 127.0.0.1/25
> (note that my ipportfw syntax isn't quite the same as yours... )

You're right about the syntax; I'm using the 2.2 utility, and was hoping
that the 2.0 syntax is the same..  :(

As for your usage, remember what I said before:  You *MUST* initiate the
connection from a host that is *OUTSIDE* the masq LAN, or it will not
work.  Really, I wasn't kidding!  :)

Here, "localhost" is not outside your local LAN, so it fails.

Yes, there is a good reason for this:  In order for ipportfw to work its
magic, it wants to search through your masq rules and find the ipfwadm
entry that enables masquerading in the opposite direction.  Once such a
rule is found, it is used to create the "masq tunnel" entry that will
permit the connection to be masqueraded properly.

Thus, if there is no masq entry (and I would say that the odds of you
having a masq entry for "localhost" is very slim!), then the connection
will simply fail (hang, as you see it).

Ipportfw can only be used to send connections through from the OUTSIDE. 
If your requirements are that it work from the inside, then you will
need to use a prox, such as "ridentd" or "redir".  If you are simply
trying to test it and wondering why it doesn't work, then you are simply
testing it wrong.  Telnet outside your network, and try telnetting back
in on the port you're trying to forward.  It will work!

-- 
   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fuzzy Fox)      || "Nothing takes the taste out of peanut
sometimes known as David DeSimone  ||  butter quite like unrequited love."
  http://www.dallas.net/~fox/      ||                       -- Charlie Brown


_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/

Reply via email to