Paul Tomblin via Mailman-users writes:

 > I use Postfix for my MTA, and like I said I swear I used to see the
 > DSNs before, but this round I’m not seeing them.

Default is "notify on increment" = "off", "notify on disable" = "on",
"notify on unsubscribe" = "on".  Maybe you're remembering Mailman 2
since it's only been about 1/2 year, and you haven't had disable/
unsubscribe since then?  All those settings are in the "bounce
processing" pane of the settings tab.

 > One wrinkle is the fact that I’m hosted on Linode, and one of the
 > big RBL providers has a bug up his ass about Linode

My outgoing MTA is Linode, and I'm not seeing that with IPv4.  I
did have to configure Postfix to prefer IPv4 over IPv6, because one of
the big RBLs checks prefix, and if you're not at least a /64, it
blocks you.  I've also had trouble with Microsoft, but so far it
usually forgets I'm evil in a week or so, and if I'm really in a hurry
to get mail through their automated IP unblocker does the job in 3
minutes or so.  I am not running lists myself at the moment, though.

 > I wonder if that relay has started swallowing the bounce message
 > while still returning the bounce status?

It could be that it doesn't produce one.  However, I'm pretty sure
that Postfix will produce one that just says "this is the status, the
message data is attached below" with no attachment.  So you should be
seeing *something* if Mailman is configured to notify on those events.

 > I did, however, get a plaintive email from a little old lady on the
 > list who said “But I don’t want to unsubscribe from the list”. So I
 > guess she at least got her “you’ve been removed’ email. Which
 > again, increases the mystery.

That does suggest that her provider, at least, doesn't like your list
traffic for some reason.  It's also plausible that recipient-side
problems get resolved just in time for the "you've been removed" email
to succeed.  I know I've heard that issue before.

 > This particular round of “too many bounces” disables all happened
 > in a matter of an hour or so, preceded a couple of days earlier by
 > some others. Does mailman bundle those up and process them all in a
 > batch?

Only in the sense that they're all likely to trigger on the same post
because of the "one increment per day" algorithm.  I think I mentioned
earlier, I do see bunching of disable/unsubscribe actions on the
Mailman lists.  I suspect it's just a matter of a dry spell, then
enough posts on a daily basis that all the bounce counts get
incremented together (unless all the recipients that get
disabled/unsubscribed are managed by the same provider).

 > 
 > -- 
 > Paul Tomblin
 > _______________________________________________
 > Mailman-users mailing list -- [email protected]
 > To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]
 > https://lists.mailman3.org/mailman3/lists/mailman-users.mailman3.org/
 > Archived at: 
 > https://lists.mailman3.org/archives/list/[email protected]/message/NVFKUWLGY6VUO7VFSKAO7W4QHBSSRSW2/
 > 
 > This message sent to [email protected]

-- 
GNU Mailman consultant (installation, migration, customization)
Sirius Open Source    https://www.siriusopensource.com/
Software systems consulting in Europe, North America, and Japan
_______________________________________________
Mailman-users mailing list -- [email protected]
To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]
https://lists.mailman3.org/mailman3/lists/mailman-users.mailman3.org/
Archived at: 
https://lists.mailman3.org/archives/list/[email protected]/message/2HLWQ4AXEVXRC6YZSEV3NDTXMQEM7Y5D/

This message sent to [email protected]

Reply via email to