Paul Tomblin via Mailman-users writes:
> I swear I used to get the exactly text of the bounce message when
> email to a list member bounced, but I'm not seeing it any more. Is
> there a setting I've overlooked?
You've probably seen them. I do get them in the case where an
administrative action (disable delivery or unsubscribe) is taken,
assuming that the bouncing site provides one ("notify on increment" is
off here). That's a function of the last hop MTA before the rejecting
MTA, which is never Mailman (Mailman 3 is assumed to use a separate
MTA for outgoing mail, I guess if you know what you're doing you could
probably configure it to send directly). There isn't necessarily any
bounce message: a Sufficiently Smart[tm] MTA may be relaying to the
remote while Mailman is still connected, and all you'll get is the
remote's status.
> I've turned on "*Notify owner on bounce increment"* which was off
> for some reason.
That's default, I think because starting at a couple hundred
suscribers it's just a spam source for the list owner. Note that even
if you've got "notify on increment" "on", many of the bounces may be
invisible, because only the first bounce in a 24 hour period is
counted. The rest are just discarded. On an active list, that could
be dozens.
> I just had 24 users bounced off a mailing list this morning for
> excessive bounces, and I can only think their ISP suddenly took
> exception to my setup somehow.
Do you mean they're all at a particular ISP? The simplest thing to do
in that case is to check their policy page if they have one, and then
to ask postmaster@ISP.
Also, on the Mailman lists, disable events seem to come in spates,
with almost all of them being some variation on "no such user".
If the ISP is mad at *you*, you usually won't find out *why* from the
DSN, although some will tell you if it's DMARC. You'll just get a
"550 5.7.1 Administratively denied" or similarly opaque reason. The
cases where you do find out why is when the status is something like
"account deleted" or "mailbox full", which aren't your problem.
> It would have been nice to have to a warning when the first bounce
> happened.
Now that you've turned on "notify on increment", you will. But I
think you'll find that it's just an annoyance, as bounces are frequent
(at least on larger mailing lists), but rarely an issue you can
correct.
--
GNU Mailman consultant (installation, migration, customization)
Sirius Open Source https://www.siriusopensource.com/
Software systems consulting in Europe, North America, and Japan
_______________________________________________
Mailman-users mailing list -- [email protected]
To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]
https://lists.mailman3.org/mailman3/lists/mailman-users.mailman3.org/
Archived at:
https://lists.mailman3.org/archives/list/[email protected]/message/WZET4ADO2UIDRAVSJWPMS6RPJIXWB3KM/
This message sent to [email protected]