On Tue, Jun 9, 2026, at 5:25 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Paul Tomblin via Mailman-users writes:
>
>  > I swear I used to get the exactly text of the bounce message when
>  > email to a list member bounced, but I'm not seeing it any more. Is
>  > there a setting I've overlooked?
>
> You've probably seen them.  I do get them in the case where an
> administrative action (disable delivery or unsubscribe) is taken,
> assuming that the bouncing site provides one ("notify on increment" is
> off here).  That's a function of the last hop MTA before the rejecting
> MTA, which is never Mailman (Mailman 3 is assumed to use a separate
> MTA for outgoing mail, I guess if you know what you're doing you could

I use Postfix for my MTA, and like I said I swear I used to see the DSNs 
before, but this round I’m not seeing them. One wrinkle is the fact that I’m 
hosted on Linode, and one of the big RBL providers has a bug up his ass about 
Linode and so instead of just blacklisting the instances that produce spam, 
he’s basically blacklisting all of Linode. And because of that, I relay my 
outgoing mail through a friend in Norway. I wonder if that relay has started 
swallowing the bounce message while still returning the bounce status?

I did, however, get a plaintive email from a little old lady on the list who 
said “But I don’t want to unsubscribe from the list”. So I guess she at least 
got her “you’ve been removed’ email. Which again, increases the mystery.

This particular round of “too many bounces” disables all happened in a matter 
of an hour or so, preceded a couple of days earlier by some others. Does 
mailman bundle those up and process them all in a batch?

-- 
Paul Tomblin
_______________________________________________
Mailman-users mailing list -- [email protected]
To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]
https://lists.mailman3.org/mailman3/lists/mailman-users.mailman3.org/
Archived at: 
https://lists.mailman3.org/archives/list/[email protected]/message/NVFKUWLGY6VUO7VFSKAO7W4QHBSSRSW2/

This message sent to [email protected]

Reply via email to