It's a good idea, Jeri, but would it work in practice? National/International 
lace days tend to be times when lacemakers try to get out to demonstrate and be 
seen by the public, and are usually chosen for times of year when the weather 
may be favourable so that sitting outside is feasible. This, on a country to 
country basis, is reasonably straightforward to organise, but what is summer in 
one country is winter in another, and, say, if the date chosen was an 
Australian summer day I very much doubt that I, in the UK, would want to be sat 
outside getting somewhat cold and wet, and neither would I expect very many 
visitors to an indoor exhibition at that time of year.

Out of interest, who declared a National Lacemaking Day first? I know in 
England, the first such day was in 1991, and has been the Second Saturday in 
September ever since (we usually have reasonably good weather then, and most 
people are back off their summer holidays with the kids back at school). This 
was the year The Lace Guild celebrated its 15th Anniversary (Crystal) and also 
coincided with a garden party to raise funds for our local hospice, being 
organised (locally) by another organisation - I was asked to demonstrate at 
this by the manager of the office I was working in at the time (who was helping 
to organise the garden party). That was the first demonstration I did, and in 
order to have some lace that I could sell to help raise funds, I designed my 
Giles the Dog bookmark - and made 45, raising over £100 for the hospice, over 
the next six months - in fact I finished making another one yesterday but can 
no longer remember how many I've made over the years! The patter!
 n has now been published by the Sunnyvale Museum in California.

Jane Partridge
________________________________________
From: [email protected] <[email protected]> on behalf of Jeri Ames 
<[email protected]>
Sent: 25 June 2018 18:46

??
We have a universal Internet to use.?? Agreeing on one International Lace Day
per year is just one of several things that need attention in order to be
"united-in-lace".
??
Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center

-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]. Photo site:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacemaker/sets/

Reply via email to