Jeri asked, and perhaps this was sent to me privately, I am not sure
since I don't get her postings, whether there was a link between the
Needle and Bobbin Club and the International Organization of Lace
(formerly the International Old Lacers). I don't there was. Perhaps
others have knowledge that I don't have. The Needle and Bobbin Club
was New York City based and started in 1916. There are still a few
people around who were members in the late 1980s before it ended in
about 1986. Some members of the Needle and Bobbin Club  have been
members of the International Old Lacers at various times. But, I don't
think there was any direct link. The Metro Chapter IOLI  encompassed
both New York City and the suburbs in New York and New Jersey. In
1979, an International Old Lacers convention was hosted by the Metro
Chapter in New York City. After this convention the group in the city
and the group on the other side of the Hudson split, with the group in
the city taking the name of the New York Lace Guild. The New York Lace
Guild did not seek affiliation with the IOLI. So there was for a
period of time, two lace groups in New York, the Needle and Bobbin
Club, and the New York Lace Guild, with no affiliation with the IOLI.
Meanwhile on the other side of the Hudson, the Metro Chapter
continued, and was affiliated with the IOLI.
One element of the Needle and Bobbin Club was that it was originally a
club for lace collectors who were very wealthy. It was possible that
you could be black-balled, or not accepted because you were not
"clubbable". Marian Powys was not a full member because she was "in
trade". By the late eighties, they were relaxing their standards and
let in the people that I know, who all joke about this. But, it was
still a club in which many people who fit into the IOLI would feel
uncomfortable, socially. I get the impression that the lace collectors
who were in the Federation of Doll Clubs were not socially elite.
The fact that the Needle and Bobbin Club was in existence for 70 years
is pretty impressive, and shows how hard it is to sustain things. One
of the problems cited in discussions about the demise of the club was
that they didn't have a good place to meet because people in New York
no longer had large apartments that they could entertain in.
Devon

-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]. Photo site:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacemaker/sets/

Reply via email to