There are many crafts who have made the journey from employment with its 
associated training to a hobby with groups of likeminded people gathering and 
sharing their knowledge. I suspect that many of us have multiple interests in 
this way. 

Guilds come together because of an existing interest rather than generating 
said interest. They certainly help to spread the word and provide learning 
opportunities. 

I don’t know the history of the IOLI. Presumably it didn’t just appear from 
nowhere. Who were its founders? Where did they meet and how? How did their 
smaller groups start? Do those groups still exist? They may have changed names 
and/or locations. It would be interesting to trace it to its source(s) rather 
like exploring a major river. That would provide plenty of opportunity to 
research the spread of lace interest throughout the USA. It would also have 
many fascinating links to Europe, I suspect. 

My C$0.02. 

> On Jun 17, 2018, at 09:41, Devon Thein <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> The International Organization of Lace dates its start to 1953. I just
> looked up The Lace Guild. It seems it was established in 1976.
> 
> Would it be true to say that the International Organization of Lace,
> Inc is the oldest continuing lace group?

-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]. Photo site:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacemaker/sets/

Reply via email to