Claude, GPT, and some open models are fluent in the iterative use of Lean 4.   
In a derivation, they can offer commentary on the motivation for each step 
inline – they write comments -- and then use Lean to check/elaborate.  Or they 
can explain after the fact the trajectory of a derivation.   So, I find it 
strange and more than a little suspicious, the criticism that the AI companies 
aren’t aligned with the mathematics community.   If anything, loosely directed 
use of frontier LLMs leads to hundreds or thousands of pages of rigorous 
corollaries that go in all directions.  Paraphrasing a concern of the 
community, the wander-around-and-discover-stuff activity they’d prefer to do 
(professionally) and not merely absorb the utilitarian outputs of a model 
directed toward a single goal.   What they are conveniently not mentioning is 
that the wander-around-and-discover-stuff activity is accumulating at 
superhuman speed in AI notebooks on behalf of goal directed behavior.   It sure 
seems like it was ok when the party was only over for the coders, but then the 
sand shifted on the math guys too and then it was all a great outrage.  

 

From: Friam <[email protected]> On Behalf Of Jon Zingale
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2026 8:36 PM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Circuit bending

 

I certainly don’t mean to imply that I work this way because it’s demonstrably 
better. It’s a habit, and a way of working with LLMs that I can get my head 
around. Many of my friends are going the harness route, generally with mixed 
results.

To some extent, I think my habit is related to how I like to work with my own 
mind. I’m not sure I can elaborate meaningfully on that right now, so I’ll 
leave it there.

What I can offer for debate is that I think the harness direction of 
development would benefit from more thoughtful type-theoretic foundations. I 
don’t mean the trashy, just-trying-to-get-funded version that Jev is 
hand-waving at. I mean properly good type theory of the kind I know you know.

Attachment: smime.p7s
Description: S/MIME cryptographic signature

.- .-.. .-.. / ..-. --- --- - . .-. ... / .- .-. . / .-- .-. --- -. --. / ... 
--- -- . / .- .-. . / ..- ... . ..-. ..- .-..
FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
Fridays 9a-12p Friday St. Johns Cafe   /   Thursdays 9a-12p Zoom 
https://bit.ly/virtualfriam
to (un)subscribe http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com
FRIAM-COMIC http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/
archives:  5/2017 thru present https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/
  1/2003 thru 6/2021  http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/

Reply via email to