While one-shot coding results can be remarkable, humans try stuff and learn 
from the stuff they try.  Some of it building on trusted components.    It is 
strange to hold LLMs to a higher standard.   

 

From: Friam <[email protected]> On Behalf Of Jon Zingale
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2026 6:51 PM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Circuit bending

 

Because I almost never go full harness, I forget that harnesses are a fine way 
to produce code. Often, I sit much closer to the zero-shot side of the 
spectrum, with a few iterations and myself as the validator.

This got me thinking about the degree to which frontier model developers 
privilege our harness-produced code when generating their synthetic data. To 
the degree that I am willing to pay for tokens, I am, in some sense, vouching 
for the potential training value of the generated code. Even if it’s wrong, it 
may be better than random, in that it is text someone wanted. Path dependence 
and all of that.

Producing idiosyncratic generators seems a lot more valuable than slurping up 
and training on pure state.

Attachment: smime.p7s
Description: S/MIME cryptographic signature

.- .-.. .-.. / ..-. --- --- - . .-. ... / .- .-. . / .-- .-. --- -. --. / ... 
--- -- . / .- .-. . / ..- ... . ..-. ..- .-..
FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
Fridays 9a-12p Friday St. Johns Cafe   /   Thursdays 9a-12p Zoom 
https://bit.ly/virtualfriam
to (un)subscribe http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com
FRIAM-COMIC http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/
archives:  5/2017 thru present https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/
  1/2003 thru 6/2021  http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/

Reply via email to