FreeCAD could import G-code but have limitations. It does not understand 
everything. Have used this method for some simple path then not able to 
convince the CAM module to generate the path I wanted to.
Nicklas Karlsson


Den Torsdag, Oktober 08, 2026 21:40 CEST, skrev Martin Dobbins 
<[email protected]>:

 
I also write g code by hand much of the time.

I do use CAD to check my math on occasion, though <lol>

Martin
________________________________
From: Nicklas SB Karlsson <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, October 8, 2026 12:12 PM
To: [email protected] <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Free CAM

Have also used manual method. In this case it was a few simple parts machined 
in two operations with different
lengths. Another one to machine a hole with spiral movement, if hole is large 
enough it have to spiral several
times.

Nicklas Karlsson


ons 2026-10-07 klockan 14:37 -0500 skrev Jon Elson:
> On 10/7/26 03:45, Robin Szemeti via Emc-users wrote:
> > I don't think there are many who hand craft gcode anymore, no real reason
> > to, as there are so many good CAM packages now ... I sort of still
> > remember most of it, but can't say I have actually written a line of gcode
> > in the last decade, nor needed to.
> >
> I'm probably an outlier. I don't use traditional CAD much.
> I have written a bunch of small programs that ask a few
> questions and then crank out G-code for specific common
> tasks that come up often in the work I do, such as round
> holes, rectangular cutouts, ovals, etc. Then, I string
> these together with cat and text editor to make the complete
> part program.
>
> Jon
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Emc-users mailing list
> [email protected]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/emc-users


_______________________________________________
Emc-users mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/emc-users

_______________________________________________
Emc-users mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/emc-users
 



 

_______________________________________________
Emc-users mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/emc-users

Reply via email to