I don't think there are many who hand craft gcode anymore, no real reason
to, as there are so many good CAM packages now  ... I sort of still
remember most of it, but can't say I have actually written a line of gcode
in the last decade, nor needed to.

Personally, I am using the various Vectric packages (mostly Cut 2D Pro) and
it does all I would ever want on a big CNC router and my little mill.  I'd
like something that did proper 3D roughing and finishing, but it's not
something I really do any of, the stuff in Cut2D is enough for almost
everything I need, like I said, not hand crafted an gcode in at least a
decade, rarely even look at the output to be honest ... just save it and
run it.

On Wed, 7 Oct 2026 at 07:40, maurice e heskett <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 10/6/26 09:18, Ralph Stirling via Emc-users wrote:
> > There is one new approach to Freecad now.
> >
> >
> > https://youtu.be/M5KOgtk9VfI<
> https://youtu.be/M5KOgtk9VfI?is=qB7Ro3fp6dJZkh85>
> >
> > I haven't tried this yet myself, but I'm going to suggest it to
> cad-adverse friends and family who have cnc machines gathering dust because
> they can't get a handle on either cad or cam.
> >
> > --Ralph
> Where is the mental creativity needed to describe that to the AI? I'd
> feel the effort to do that compares in difficulty to learning g-code,
> which to me is easier.
>
> Machines sitting idle is a shame, Ralph.   g-code isn't that hard to
> write.  And then runs anytime you load it.  Once, or 50,000 times.  I've
> been doing it for  a couple decades.  The back-plotting that axis can do
> does a pretty good job of showing you what the g-code you've written is
> going to look like.  The biggest problem is depth of cut and speeds,
> critical for small tools that can be easily broken. It gets a bit obtuse
> when there are more than 3 axises as both of my mills can have a 4th.
> Being able to visualize and make your own accessories is a plus.
>
> Unforch, my machines are idle as I'm not there, my kidneys have gone on
> strike, so I am now at my sons place about 10 miles away, who is seeing
> to it I  eat well & gets me to the dialysis place, up at this hour
> because my sugar monitor was screaming as I was down to 57, well below
> normal. A tiny payday bar and a spoon of ice cream fixed that.  A pita.
>
> Take care of #1 & 2.
>
> Cheers, Gene
>
> >
> >
> > -- Ralph
> > ________________________________
> > From: maurice e heskett <[email protected]>
> > Sent: Tuesday, 06 October 2026 01:15:42
> > To: [email protected] <[email protected]>
> > Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Free CAM
> >
> > CAUTION: This email originated from outside the Walla Walla University
> email system.
> >
> >
> > On 9/30/26 22:34, Ryan McIntosh wrote:
> >> Fusion360 runs just fine under WINE on linux.  OpenSCAD will create
> >> whatever level of part complexity you can mathematically describe.  If
> you
> >> have a part with many b-splines or freeform curves, yes, you will spend
> a
> >> long time describing them.  However, the mathematical precision with
> which
> >> you must think about your part can make the production of CAM files or
> >> meshes much simpler and/or with less "stepping"  It is worth mentioning
> >> that FreeCAD exports to OpenSCAD natively.  Should you want to produce a
> >> part on an older Fanuc, for example, you may have difficulties with
> larger
> >> meshes.
> >>
> >>
> >> *Ryan McIntosh*
> >> E4F Designs
> >> (204)770-3682 <(204)%20770-3682>
> >> [email protected]
> > Its likely good to know that fusion360 can do that. But the last time I
> > read the TOS and license I got a bad after-taste.  Back to openscad for
> > printed designs, or writing my own gcode.  Freecad to me has way too
> > vertical a learning curve, where openscad is a piece of cake.
> >> On Wed, Sep 30, 2026 at 4:04 PM Chris Albertson <
> [email protected]>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >>> My test to see if a CAD/CAM system is usable is to try to make a
> Milwaukee
> >>> battery-powered drill housing.     Note that the drill on the outside
> has
> >>> no flat parallel surfaces, as it is all compound curves and freeform.
> >>> Except there is bilateral symmetry and, in some places, radial
> symmetry.
> >>>    Then, if you look on the inside, it is very geometric and has
> places for
> >>> mechanical gears and PCB mounting holes, threaded blind holes, and is
> very
> >>> “mechanical.”   A good CAD system should allow you to design something
> like
> >>> a drill or a car that is both mechanical and a sculpted shape.
> >>>
> >>> FreeCAD is open source and passed the above test.    Autodesk’s Fusion
> 360
> >>> is free to use and has a better user interface and is faster to use.
>  Both
> >>> have a CAM systems.  FreeCAD’s CAM is really only 2.5D and basically
> >>> works.  Autodesk Fusion’s CAM is 100% professional quality, but the
> free
> >>> version is limited.  You need a paid license for 5-axis support.   Both
> >>> work well for making 3D-printed parts with very complex part shapes up
> to
> >>> and including motorcycle engines and similar.
> >>>
> >>> About Gene’s comment:  I can’t understand how someone with good
> mechanical
> >>> skill can not learn either of these two CAD systems.  OK, Fusion 360 is
> >>> easier.  But anyone reading this should be able to do basic work after
> a
> >>> week or two of study and after 6 weeks, make complex parts like the
> >>> Milwaukee drill.
> >>>
> >>> About OpenSCAD, I challenge anyone to make a Milwaukee battery drill in
> >>> OpenSCAD.  Or a car or a motorcycle engine.   It is, however, good for
> any
> >>> shape that can be described by an algorithm; gears are a good example.
> >>>
> >>> Summary: if making complex parts and wanting a free CAD/CAM system, use
> >>> Fusion 360.  If it must also be open source, use FreeCAD.
> >>>
> >>> Your operating system might help you decide.    Fusion 360 runs only on
> >>> macOS and Windows.   FreeCAD runs on these but also runs on Linux.
> >>> Fusion360 can run on Linux if you run a virtual machine with Windows.
> >>> On Sep 30, 2026, at 8:14 AM, maurice e heskett <[email protected]>
> >>> wrote:
> >>>> On 9/30/26 09:41, andy pugh wrote:
> >>>>>> Agreed..  Off topic, is there a CAM that's both open src and free?
> >>>>> FreeCAD?
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DmVz2p_ze3yc&data=05%7C02%7Cralph.stirling%40wallawalla.edu%7C0fc30d9d29794dc99f1a08df23821686%7Cd958f048e43142779c8debfb75e7aa64%7C0%7C0%7C639268713791594526%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJFbXB0eU1hcGkiOnRydWUsIlYiOiIwLjAuMDAwMCIsIlAiOiJXaW4zMiIsIkFOIjoiTWFpbCIsIldUIjoyfQ%3D%3D%7C0%7C%7C%7C&sdata=UUwu0enQj8BPX0VsrXXj5m1OeiFzEcrWEqlGZ9KmrFc%3D&reserved=0
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVz2p_ze3yc>
> >>>> A near vertical learning curve for my aging wet ram.  I've made
> probably
> >>> 20 passes at it, haven't gotten past the 1st page of examples w/o
> gaining
> >>> any real insight as to how it works. Openscad is a piece of tasty
> cake. The
> >>> link above gave me a prostate commercial I had to sit thru, but got
> bored
> >>> after about 2 minutes and killed FF.  Never saw the freecad demo.  went
> >>> back again, 'skip"ped about 3 commercials, then got lost in the
> speakers
> >>> accent.  As Winston Churchill once said, 2 great countries separated
> by a
> >>> common language...  The chances I'd get anything out of that are quite
> slim.
> >>>> Thanks, Gene
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> _______________________________________________
> >>>> Emc-users mailing list
> >>>> [email protected]
> >>>>
> https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flists.sourceforge.net%2Flists%2Flistinfo%2Femc-users&data=05%7C02%7Cralph.stirling%40wallawalla.edu%7C0fc30d9d29794dc99f1a08df23821686%7Cd958f048e43142779c8debfb75e7aa64%7C0%7C0%7C639268713791628946%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJFbXB0eU1hcGkiOnRydWUsIlYiOiIwLjAuMDAwMCIsIlAiOiJXaW4zMiIsIkFOIjoiTWFpbCIsIldUIjoyfQ%3D%3D%7C0%7C%7C%7C&sdata=cpFFm947jkmxebP7VEKJLxII39JoMcAx%2FoAVH4ILfNs%3D&reserved=0
> <https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/emc-users>
> >>> ___________________________________________
> >>> Emc-users mailing list
> >>> [email protected]
> >>>
> https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flists.sourceforge.net%2Flists%2Flistinfo%2Femc-users&data=05%7C02%7Cralph.stirling%40wallawalla.edu%7C0fc30d9d29794dc99f1a08df23821686%7Cd958f048e43142779c8debfb75e7aa64%7C0%7C0%7C639268713791656855%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJFbXB0eU1hcGkiOnRydWUsIlYiOiIwLjAuMDAwMCIsIlAiOiJXaW4zMiIsIkFOIjoiTWFpbCIsIldUIjoyfQ%3D%3D%7C0%7C%7C%7C&sdata=SlFoZGgj4hlhesw06CLZYjYPbP4UTYUqczQs%2FIwidGs%3D&reserved=0
> <https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/emc-users>
> >>>
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> Emc-users mailing list
> >> [email protected]
> >>
> https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flists.sourceforge.net%2Flists%2Flistinfo%2Femc-users&data=05%7C02%7Cralph.stirling%40wallawalla.edu%7C0fc30d9d29794dc99f1a08df23821686%7Cd958f048e43142779c8debfb75e7aa64%7C0%7C0%7C639268713791682159%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJFbXB0eU1hcGkiOnRydWUsIlYiOiIwLjAuMDAwMCIsIlAiOiJXaW4zMiIsIkFOIjoiTWFpbCIsIldUIjoyfQ%3D%3D%7C0%7C%7C%7C&sdata=5p7ZqC8IgipIjTP46jN18tocS5%2FC0ETfGJq%2BrTcN6PQ%3D&reserved=0
> <https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/emc-users>
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Emc-users mailing list
> > [email protected]
> >
> https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flists.sourceforge.net%2Flists%2Flistinfo%2Femc-users&data=05%7C02%7Cralph.stirling%40wallawalla.edu%7C0fc30d9d29794dc99f1a08df23821686%7Cd958f048e43142779c8debfb75e7aa64%7C0%7C0%7C639268713791707431%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJFbXB0eU1hcGkiOnRydWUsIlYiOiIwLjAuMDAwMCIsIlAiOiJXaW4zMiIsIkFOIjoiTWFpbCIsIldUIjoyfQ%3D%3D%7C0%7C%7C%7C&sdata=BN9yePLHRf2X8TtRqkKa4cDfluzbcnktvqJwCuFFKoQ%3D&reserved=0
> <https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/emc-users>
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Emc-users mailing list
> > [email protected]
> > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/emc-users
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Emc-users mailing list
> [email protected]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/emc-users
>

_______________________________________________
Emc-users mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/emc-users

Reply via email to