Hi Mattias, Our release policy says we can't update on minor versions, if we could we could technically make 8.1 have Groovy 6 support. The reason a major is being proposed is because we're trying to follow our release policy.
It will also likely be January before we can adopt Spring 4.2. If we wait to put groovy in, 4 months will have passed and major Groovy development will have started back up again. The reason to get on Groovy faster is so that we can be doing development while they are. We have been 2 versions behind to date and I'm skeptical we'll catch up if we wait to release support for Groovy 6. Based on what I've already found with 5, I'm worried further language decisions will be made prior to our adoption and it will be too late to change them by the time we find them. >From a support perspective, support ends on 4.1 in Summer 2027 and for 4.2 at >the end of year on 2027. Jumping to 10 to 4.2 grants 6 months of additional >support, so I wouldn't consider 4.2 a minor. What's being proposed is to skip / jump ahead so we don't stay behind. -James On 2026/10/08 08:15:41 Mattias Reichel wrote: > My feeling is that with this plan we are moving too fast with little gain. > I fail to see the up-sides of doing this, but I'm probably missing something. > > From a user perspective I think it would be strange that the main > selling point of Grails 10, as it stands now, would be a minor bump of > Spring Boot. > > We need to help the rest of the Grails ecosystem to catch up as well. > I'm also pretty certain there will be much maintenance work on Grails 8. > > I think we should release Grails 9.0.0-M1 with Groovy 6 (indy-on) with > Spring Boot 4.2-M2 and start testing end applications early against > that. > > As was the case for Grails 8, I'm sure there are also many great ideas > and features that need time to develop, polish, review and test before > going into a major release. > > Spring Boot RC1 is scheduled for October 22 which historically has > meant a GA one month later. That schedule has been in flux but it > seems the Spring team is trying to get back on track: > https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-boot/issues/50902#issuecomment-5914928034 > > Also important to factor in is the extra OSS support time of Spring > Boot for Grails 9. > > If Spring Boot 4.2 is released late November, which my guess it will > be, we will have shot ourselves in the foot, doing a Grails 9 with > Boot 4.1. > > That Groovy master is already on Groovy 7 is to my understanding just > how that project works. > As soon as Groovy 6 was released, it became a maintenance branch, and > only gets backport fixes from master. > > /Mattias > > > Den ons 7 okt. 2026 kl 17:57 skrev James Fredley <[email protected]>: > > > > Hi all, > > > > This is a follow-up to the earlier thread and to today's weekly meeting. > > This is a discuss thread, not a vote. The goal is to settle the language > > for a follow-up [VOTE] on the next several Grails lines. > > > > Grails 8.0.0 is out (Groovy 5, Spring Boot 4.1). Work toward Groovy 6 is > > already on the 9.0.x line, and Apache Groovy 6.0.0 is out. Groovy 7 work > > has already started: https://github.com/apache/groovy > > > > Please comment on the plan and on the wording. If you want to change the > > language, copy the whole proposal block below, paste it into your reply, > > and edit it there. Do not send a partial rewrite or a diff of a > > sentence. A full replacement block is what we will carry into the vote. > > If you agree with the block as written, a +1 on this thread is enough. > > Discussion on this thread is not a binding vote. > > > > PROPOSAL (copy this whole block if you want to change the language) > > > > 1. Grails 9.0.x > > 1. Merge the 8.1.x branch up into the 9.0.x branch. > > 2. Do not release 8.1.x. Skip that line. > > 3. Ship 9.0.x as a lighter release: bring Grails current with > > Groovy, without waiting on the next Spring Boot line. > > 4. Base it on Groovy 6. > > 5. Turn invokedynamic on. > > 1. Turning invokedynamic off is not a viable default. In Groovy > > 6.0.0 the classic call-site implementation has moved out of groovy-core > > into the separate groovy-callsite module, and that surface is on a path > > to deprecation. Core dispatch already uses invokedynamic. > > 6. Target 9.0.0 for the end of November 2026. > > 7. This release catches Grails up to Groovy. Apache Groovy 7 work > > has already started: https://github.com/apache/groovy > > > > 2. Grails 10 (the line previously discussed as 9.1.x) > > 1. Rename the planned 9.1.x line to 10. > > 2. Base it on Groovy 6 and Spring Boot 4.2. > > 3. Target 2027 Q1. Aim to release within one month of Spring Boot > > 4.2. That window is tight because of existing time commitments. > > 4. Use the major version bump so the release can carry material > > breaking changes and move the framework forward. > > > > > > James >
