Then, the common ground would be 9.0 and 9.1?

Den tors 8 okt. 2026 20:05James Fredley <[email protected]> skrev:

> Spring Boot 4.2.0 will likely come at the earliest Dec 20 2026, which is 6
> months after 4.1.0.  https://endoflife.date/spring-boot
> Since that is Christmas, Jan is more likely.
>
> My #1 item on this discussion is getting Grails 9.0.0 on Groovy 6 out soon
> and not waiting until Feb or March, so we can catch up to Groovy.
>
> My #2 is trying to avoid supporting Spring Boot 4.2.x on Groovy 6 and
> Groovy 5.
>
> The Grails 10.0.x vs 9.1.x version number is less important for me
>
> James
>
> On 2026/10/08 17:41:45 Mattias Reichel wrote:
> > Hi James, it seems we are not understanding each other.
> >
> > I'm not suggesting we upgrade to Groovy 6 in Grails 8.1.
> > I am suggesting we release Grails 9.0.0-M1 with Groovy 6 and Spring
> > Boot 4.2 right away.
> > There we will be current and up-to-date and able to test everything.
> >
> > Why would it be January before we can adopt Spring Boot 4.2 when we
> > can start testing it on M2 today and RC1 in a couple of weeks.
> >
> > /Mattias
> >
> >
> > Den tors 8 okt. 2026 kl 18:39 skrev James Daugherty <
> [email protected]>:
> > >
> > > Hi Mattias,
> > >
> > > Our release policy says we can't update on minor versions, if we could
> we could technically make 8.1 have Groovy 6 support.  The reason a major is
> being proposed is because we're trying to follow our release policy.
> > >
> > > It will also likely be January before we can adopt Spring 4.2. If we
> wait to put groovy in, 4 months will have passed and major Groovy
> development will have started back up again. The reason to get on Groovy
> faster is so that we can be doing development while they are. We have been
> 2 versions behind to date and I'm skeptical we'll catch up if we wait to
> release support for Groovy 6. Based on what I've already found with 5, I'm
> worried further language decisions will be made prior to our adoption and
> it will be too late to change them by the time we find them.
> > >
> > > From a support perspective, support ends on 4.1 in Summer 2027 and for
> 4.2 at the end of year on 2027.  Jumping to 10 to 4.2 grants 6 months of
> additional support, so I wouldn't consider 4.2 a minor.
> > >
> > > What's being proposed is to skip / jump ahead so we don't stay behind.
> > >
> > > -James
> > >
> > > On 2026/10/08 08:15:41 Mattias Reichel wrote:
> > > > My feeling is that with this plan we are moving too fast with little
> gain.
> > > > I fail to see the up-sides of doing this, but I'm probably missing
> something.
> > > >
> > > > From a user perspective I think it would be strange that the main
> > > > selling point of Grails 10, as it stands now, would be a minor bump
> of
> > > > Spring Boot.
> > > >
> > > > We need to help the rest of the Grails ecosystem to catch up as well.
> > > > I'm also pretty certain there will be much maintenance work on
> Grails 8.
> > > >
> > > > I think we should release Grails 9.0.0-M1 with Groovy 6 (indy-on)
> with
> > > > Spring Boot 4.2-M2 and start testing end applications early against
> > > > that.
> > > >
> > > > As was the case for Grails 8, I'm sure there are also many great
> ideas
> > > > and features that need time to develop, polish, review and test
> before
> > > > going into a major release.
> > > >
> > > > Spring Boot RC1 is scheduled for October 22 which historically has
> > > > meant a GA one month later. That schedule has been in flux but it
> > > > seems the Spring team is trying to get back on track:
> > > >
> https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-boot/issues/50902#issuecomment-5914928034
> > > >
> > > > Also important to factor in is the extra OSS support time of Spring
> > > > Boot for Grails 9.
> > > >
> > > > If Spring Boot 4.2 is released late November, which my guess it will
> > > > be, we will have shot ourselves in the foot, doing a Grails 9 with
> > > > Boot 4.1.
> > > >
> > > > That Groovy master is already on Groovy 7 is to my understanding just
> > > > how that project works.
> > > > As soon as Groovy 6 was released, it became a maintenance branch, and
> > > > only gets backport fixes from master.
> > > >
> > > > /Mattias
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Den ons 7 okt. 2026 kl 17:57 skrev James Fredley <
> [email protected]>:
> > > > >
> > > > > Hi all,
> > > > >
> > > > > This is a follow-up to the earlier thread and to today's weekly
> meeting.
> > > > > This is a discuss thread, not a vote. The goal is to settle the
> language
> > > > > for a follow-up [VOTE] on the next several Grails lines.
> > > > >
> > > > > Grails 8.0.0 is out (Groovy 5, Spring Boot 4.1). Work toward
> Groovy 6 is
> > > > > already on the 9.0.x line, and Apache Groovy 6.0.0 is out. Groovy
> 7 work
> > > > > has already started: https://github.com/apache/groovy
> > > > >
> > > > > Please comment on the plan and on the wording. If you want to
> change the
> > > > > language, copy the whole proposal block below, paste it into your
> reply,
> > > > > and edit it there. Do not send a partial rewrite or a diff of a
> > > > > sentence. A full replacement block is what we will carry into the
> vote.
> > > > > If you agree with the block as written, a +1 on this thread is
> enough.
> > > > > Discussion on this thread is not a binding vote.
> > > > >
> > > > > PROPOSAL (copy this whole block if you want to change the language)
> > > > >
> > > > > 1. Grails 9.0.x
> > > > >     1. Merge the 8.1.x branch up into the 9.0.x branch.
> > > > >     2. Do not release 8.1.x. Skip that line.
> > > > >     3. Ship 9.0.x as a lighter release: bring Grails current with
> > > > > Groovy, without waiting on the next Spring Boot line.
> > > > >     4. Base it on Groovy 6.
> > > > >     5. Turn invokedynamic on.
> > > > >        1. Turning invokedynamic off is not a viable default. In
> Groovy
> > > > > 6.0.0 the classic call-site implementation has moved out of
> groovy-core
> > > > > into the separate groovy-callsite module, and that surface is on a
> path
> > > > > to deprecation. Core dispatch already uses invokedynamic.
> > > > >     6. Target 9.0.0 for the end of November 2026.
> > > > >     7. This release catches Grails up to Groovy. Apache Groovy 7
> work
> > > > > has already started: https://github.com/apache/groovy
> > > > >
> > > > > 2. Grails 10 (the line previously discussed as 9.1.x)
> > > > >     1. Rename the planned 9.1.x line to 10.
> > > > >     2. Base it on Groovy 6 and Spring Boot 4.2.
> > > > >     3. Target 2027 Q1. Aim to release within one month of Spring
> Boot
> > > > > 4.2. That window is tight because of existing time commitments.
> > > > >     4. Use the major version bump so the release can carry material
> > > > > breaking changes and move the framework forward.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > James
> > > >
> >
>

Reply via email to