Hi James, it seems we are not understanding each other.

I'm not suggesting we upgrade to Groovy 6 in Grails 8.1.
I am suggesting we release Grails 9.0.0-M1 with Groovy 6 and Spring
Boot 4.2 right away.
There we will be current and up-to-date and able to test everything.

Why would it be January before we can adopt Spring Boot 4.2 when we
can start testing it on M2 today and RC1 in a couple of weeks.

/Mattias


Den tors 8 okt. 2026 kl 18:39 skrev James Daugherty <[email protected]>:
>
> Hi Mattias,
>
> Our release policy says we can't update on minor versions, if we could we 
> could technically make 8.1 have Groovy 6 support.  The reason a major is 
> being proposed is because we're trying to follow our release policy.
>
> It will also likely be January before we can adopt Spring 4.2. If we wait to 
> put groovy in, 4 months will have passed and major Groovy development will 
> have started back up again. The reason to get on Groovy faster is so that we 
> can be doing development while they are. We have been 2 versions behind to 
> date and I'm skeptical we'll catch up if we wait to release support for 
> Groovy 6. Based on what I've already found with 5, I'm worried further 
> language decisions will be made prior to our adoption and it will be too late 
> to change them by the time we find them.
>
> From a support perspective, support ends on 4.1 in Summer 2027 and for 4.2 at 
> the end of year on 2027.  Jumping to 10 to 4.2 grants 6 months of additional 
> support, so I wouldn't consider 4.2 a minor.
>
> What's being proposed is to skip / jump ahead so we don't stay behind.
>
> -James
>
> On 2026/10/08 08:15:41 Mattias Reichel wrote:
> > My feeling is that with this plan we are moving too fast with little gain.
> > I fail to see the up-sides of doing this, but I'm probably missing 
> > something.
> >
> > From a user perspective I think it would be strange that the main
> > selling point of Grails 10, as it stands now, would be a minor bump of
> > Spring Boot.
> >
> > We need to help the rest of the Grails ecosystem to catch up as well.
> > I'm also pretty certain there will be much maintenance work on Grails 8.
> >
> > I think we should release Grails 9.0.0-M1 with Groovy 6 (indy-on) with
> > Spring Boot 4.2-M2 and start testing end applications early against
> > that.
> >
> > As was the case for Grails 8, I'm sure there are also many great ideas
> > and features that need time to develop, polish, review and test before
> > going into a major release.
> >
> > Spring Boot RC1 is scheduled for October 22 which historically has
> > meant a GA one month later. That schedule has been in flux but it
> > seems the Spring team is trying to get back on track:
> > https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-boot/issues/50902#issuecomment-5914928034
> >
> > Also important to factor in is the extra OSS support time of Spring
> > Boot for Grails 9.
> >
> > If Spring Boot 4.2 is released late November, which my guess it will
> > be, we will have shot ourselves in the foot, doing a Grails 9 with
> > Boot 4.1.
> >
> > That Groovy master is already on Groovy 7 is to my understanding just
> > how that project works.
> > As soon as Groovy 6 was released, it became a maintenance branch, and
> > only gets backport fixes from master.
> >
> > /Mattias
> >
> >
> > Den ons 7 okt. 2026 kl 17:57 skrev James Fredley <[email protected]>:
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > This is a follow-up to the earlier thread and to today's weekly meeting.
> > > This is a discuss thread, not a vote. The goal is to settle the language
> > > for a follow-up [VOTE] on the next several Grails lines.
> > >
> > > Grails 8.0.0 is out (Groovy 5, Spring Boot 4.1). Work toward Groovy 6 is
> > > already on the 9.0.x line, and Apache Groovy 6.0.0 is out. Groovy 7 work
> > > has already started: https://github.com/apache/groovy
> > >
> > > Please comment on the plan and on the wording. If you want to change the
> > > language, copy the whole proposal block below, paste it into your reply,
> > > and edit it there. Do not send a partial rewrite or a diff of a
> > > sentence. A full replacement block is what we will carry into the vote.
> > > If you agree with the block as written, a +1 on this thread is enough.
> > > Discussion on this thread is not a binding vote.
> > >
> > > PROPOSAL (copy this whole block if you want to change the language)
> > >
> > > 1. Grails 9.0.x
> > >     1. Merge the 8.1.x branch up into the 9.0.x branch.
> > >     2. Do not release 8.1.x. Skip that line.
> > >     3. Ship 9.0.x as a lighter release: bring Grails current with
> > > Groovy, without waiting on the next Spring Boot line.
> > >     4. Base it on Groovy 6.
> > >     5. Turn invokedynamic on.
> > >        1. Turning invokedynamic off is not a viable default. In Groovy
> > > 6.0.0 the classic call-site implementation has moved out of groovy-core
> > > into the separate groovy-callsite module, and that surface is on a path
> > > to deprecation. Core dispatch already uses invokedynamic.
> > >     6. Target 9.0.0 for the end of November 2026.
> > >     7. This release catches Grails up to Groovy. Apache Groovy 7 work
> > > has already started: https://github.com/apache/groovy
> > >
> > > 2. Grails 10 (the line previously discussed as 9.1.x)
> > >     1. Rename the planned 9.1.x line to 10.
> > >     2. Base it on Groovy 6 and Spring Boot 4.2.
> > >     3. Target 2027 Q1. Aim to release within one month of Spring Boot
> > > 4.2. That window is tight because of existing time commitments.
> > >     4. Use the major version bump so the release can carry material
> > > breaking changes and move the framework forward.
> > >
> > >
> > > James
> >

Reply via email to