Am 05.10.26 um 22:49 schrieb Alexandre Detiste:
Hi,
I asked removal of this package (again),
before reading this bug.
Please note that this package was meant to live
between the debtags database - which is gone
and user-interface (apt, aptitude) who since
dropped all support for tags.
So it is just one useless package floating in the void;
swallowing QA efforts like a black hole
Greetings
apt-xapian-index provides general support for indexing. After its sudden
removal synaptic had to remove its indexing function. The synaptic
version that re-implemented the indexing function provided by
apt-xapian-index was uploaded just a few days ago (2026-10-05). It
sometimes happens that packages "float in the void" while related
upstream changes are waiting to be consolidated into a new version. I do
not see why this should be a reason for removal.
The function apt-xapian-index provides for synaptic has absolutely
nothing to do with any "debtags" database or "debtags" in general. For
some strange reason apt-xapian-index seens to be eternally tied to those
"debtags" in spite of it providing just indexing functionality.
I do need mentoring with fixing the bugs though.