Pat,

You say that you are not sure if the Sarah Taggart is your branch, as
everything you have doesn’t list her as a child of Francis & Mary. All
I can say is that on her marriage certificate she gave her townland as
Liscloon, her father as Francis Taggart, labourer and as you have said
yourself he was the only 1 in Tyrone. So it’s a bit of a coincidence
if he’s not her father.

Elwyn


On 20/08/2019, Len Swindley via CoTyroneList
<[email protected]> wrote:
> I would be looking at Clondermot parish, Co. Londonderry (contiguous to
> Donagheady)for the origins of both the Taggarts and McKeevers, Pat: there
> are several recorded in Griffiths Valuation c1860
> http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/
>
> Am unable to offer any further thoughts. Good luck
>
> Len
>
> Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows
> 10
>
> From: Pat<mailto:[email protected]>
> Sent: Tuesday, 20 August 2019 10:13 PM
> To: Len Swindley<mailto:[email protected]>
> Subject: Re: [CoTyroneMailingList] Thanks/ Ogilby Estate, Lisnacloon,
> Donemana,, Co Tyrone
>
> Thanks Len. The Validation is where I found Francis as he was the only
> Taggart in Co Tyrone. Also my Alex McKeever. I know Francis left the Ogilbys
> estate in 1877 not sure what he and family did but they immigrated in 1880
> to US. My timeline I’m working on is where were they before the estate?
> Taggart is Scot/Irish so when did they come from Scotland? I’m not a trained
> genealogist and sometimes I just fumble around 😁. This group has given me
> so much help. I’m not sure if the Sarah Taggart is my branch as everything I
> have doesn’t list her as a child of Francis Taggart and Mary Brisland. I’ll
> keep looking into this. Thanks again for all the leads. Pat
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Aug 20, 2019, at 05:55, Len Swindley
> <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
> Pat,
>
> There are very few surviving records for this estate. Looking at Griffiths
> Valuation for Donagheady (1858), there are many labourers’ cottages within
> both Lisnacloon Upper and Lower and none of them of great value; most likely
> consisting of two rooms, constructed of mud and stone with straw (not
> thatched) roofs.
>
> Referring to William Roulston’s “Three Centuriees of Life in a Tyrone
> Parish: A History of Donagheady from 1600 to 1900” (2010) available as an
> ebook https://www.cotyroneireland.com/estore/index.php?detailrecid=15 there
> is a deal of information covering the Lisnacloon estate. During the Famine,
> William Ogilby  undertook works projects offering employment to large
> numbers of the destitute and starving. In a letter of 1848 he claimed he was
> “daily employing 300 to 400 hands representing probably from 1,500 to 2,000
> human beings who would otherwise have starved or been thrown on the rates
> [workhouse], so that if I  do myself future good, I am conferring a great
> private benefit to the county”. Life was certainly tough in the bad old
> days. None of the 300-400 labourers would have held a lease on their humble
> residences: they were merely day labourers occupying one of the estate
> cottages “at will”.
>
> The estate found itself in considerable financial difficulties in the 1870s
> and went to sale 1901-04. Rachel Dysart generously transcribed the sale
> papers some years ago and contributed a file to CTI
> https://www.cotyroneireland.com/index.html You can locate it at
> https://www.cotyroneireland.com/estates/ogilby2.html CTI is a great
> website!
>
> Regards,
> LEN Swindley, Melbourne, Australia
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

_______________________________________________
CoTyroneList Mailing List
Mailing List Email Address: [email protected]
Change Your Preferences: 
http://mail.cotyroneireland.com/mailman/listinfo/cotyronelist_cotyroneireland.com
Mailing List Archive: https://goo.gl/mQCKrY

Reply via email to