A management VRF is attractive from best practice perspective, but full management support like using the global routing table is lacking in Cisco IOS. I have enhancement CSCsu22476 open to support selecting the syslog source interface when using VRF aware syslog (IOS 12.4T). While not always practical for full Internet routes, I would recommend using the global routing table for mgmt and putting all the customer traffic in a VRF. There are also many Cisco IOS features which only work in the global routing table making a management VRF more attractive.

Peter Rathlev wrote:
I'm a little curious since there have been so many threads about running
management stuff in VRFs. I've until now considered VRFs something for
customers only; management is in the global table.

Is management from a VRF to be considered "best practice"?

What are the benefits from using a VRF for this?

I assume everyone uses infrastructure ACLs so the VRF thingy shouldn't
be any more "secure". Or should it?

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to