On Fri, 19 Jun 2009, Benny Amorsen wrote:
"Paul Stewart" <[email protected]> writes:
On a related note to the PS below... we have tested lt2tpv3 on a few
different boxes running various IOS images and on each of the devices we did
test we seen the same behavior. This means something is either broke in the
code in my opinion or that we are doing something wrong. Typically that
means the second option in our case (lol) but I did get a fair amount of
feedback offline from folks with similar problems....;)
Generally problems with PMTU are caused by people blocking ICMP in their
Somehow yesterday I correlated the original "UDP not working" comment to
the "replies off list" and was thinking that we don't fragment the
UDP correctly - since I assumed the PMTUD blackholing problem to be
reasonably well known. Sorry, my bad.
(usually PIX/ASA) firewalls. If you control the whole path, you can make
sure that you're not one of the culprits.
On the other hand, if you're trying to reach the Internet through
tunnels with non-1500-byte MTU, you'll just have to accept that it won't
work. You can MSS adjust for TCP traffic though or you can lower your
interface or route MTU as workarounds. The only real fix is either
PIX/ASA administrators getting a clue, or Cisco getting a clue. Not
particularly likely.
Given the existence of http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/222750, it's
impossible to claim a simple and single answer for all, IMHO. I wish I
could just say "fix your systems and don't bother to block the type 3
code 4", and the things would magically work. But there're always
"more urgent things that need to be done yesterday" - so we are where we
are.
OTOH, to create a blackhole, you don't need a firewall or a firewall
administrator, for that reason - "no ip unreachables" does this job pretty
well too.
/Benny
(Yes, I'm bitter.)
Have a good weekend.
cheers,
andrew
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/