I was referring to the /29 initial allocations after 2016, when the RIPE NCC began reserving a /28 by default for those /29's.

The proposal states: "LIRs that meet the initial allocation criteria are eligible to receive an initial allocation of /32 or /28 without needing to supply any additional information."

This means it's either a /32 or a /28. It will depend on how the RIPE NCC handles the request. I assume that, by default, the RIPE NCC initially provides a /32 and informs the LIR that they have the option to extend it to a /28 without needing to supply further justification.

Rinse Kloek

On 17-10-2024 17:16, Gert Doering wrote:
Hi,

On Thu, Oct 17, 2024 at 05:06:03PM +0200, Rinse Kloek wrote:
However, we should also consider that all those /29s that are
reserved will remain unusable because they are blocked.
I'm not sure I understand this.  If a /29 is reserved, it's reserved
because the initial allocation was a /35 or /32 - so those allocations
can not grow to a /28.  Bad luck.

Indeed, if we get a lot of returns "I must have a /28, so here's my
/32-reserved-/29 back!" we would have a fragmented address pool at
the NCC, with /29s that can not form a /28.

OTOH, do you expect every new LIR to ask for a /28?  I admit I have not
read the proposal yet, but if it's in line with what we currently have,
a LIR could just signal "a /32 is good for me" and get one of those /29
holes...

(Our /32 has lasted us 26 years so far, and we'll never fill it - so
we've never extended it to a /29, because, why?)

Gert Doering
         -- 2nd IPv6 allocation made by RIPE NCC


-----
To unsubscribe from this mailing list or change your subscription options, 
please visit: 
https://mailman.ripe.net/mailman3/lists/address-policy-wg.ripe.net/
As we have migrated to Mailman 3, you will need to create an account with the email matching your subscription before you can change your settings. More details at: https://www.ripe.net/membership/mail/mailman-3-migration/

Reply via email to