The intention is that we bring into the community rules (policies) as many 
addresses as possible.

I think it is unfair to have some addresses bound to our policies (in whatever 
region), and others not.

I know we can't mandate for the legacy holders, but we can, if as a community, 
we decide that for the beneficiaries of legacy transfers, by amending our 
policy to state that those addresses lose the legacy status with that transfer.

Now is optional in RIPE, mandatory in all the other regions.

To be clear, when I mention the other regions status:
1) In LACNIC the proposal, which I authored as well, passed consensus a month 
ago (now in implementation stage). It is also based in the existing intra-RIR 
policy, where the legacy status is lost once they get transferred.
2) In AFRINIC, at the moment, there is an inter-RIR proposal, which I'm the 
author. It is based in the existing intra-RIR policy, where the legacy status 
is lost once they get transferred. So right now, intra-RIR already lost the 
legacy status.

Regards,
Jordi
@jordipalet
 
 

El 15/7/19 12:32, "address-policy-wg en nombre de Erik Bais" 
<[email protected] en nombre de [email protected]> 
escribió:

    Hi Jordi,  
    
    Please keep the lingo correct.. you keep referring to non-legacy .. but 
your intention and this complete discussion is about Legacy space.
    Typically we are talking about inter-rir transfers from ARIN to RIPE if I 
read it correctly. As most Legacy space that comes into RIPE has an ARIN 
origin. There is APNIC as well, but just less transfers from APNIC to RIPE with 
legacy .. 
    
    While I've done 'some' Legacy inter-rir transfers .. is there a problem 
with how it is being transferred ? 
    There is the option currently for legacy resource holders to move IP space 
between RIR's (ARIN to RIPE for instance) for cost, policy, tools or rights 
acceptance reasons .. or just because their HQ is moving from the ARIN region 
to RIPE region.  
    Why should they be stripped of their current status ? what is the intention 
here ? 
    
    Regards,
    Erik Bais 
    
    
    On 15/07/2019, 11:39, "address-policy-wg on behalf of JORDI PALET MARTINEZ 
via address-policy-wg" <[email protected] on behalf of 
[email protected]> wrote:
    
        Hi Tore,
        
        I think my previus email just explained it.
        
        The motivation is my personal view that we have a problem (as a 
community) by not bringing into the system the legacy resources.
        
        I'm alone with that view? I don't know, and that's why I'm asking.
        
        What is clear to me is that, according to existing policies, I share 
this view with 4/5 of the RIR communities.
        
        What is the effect of that? Simple, an unbalance of transfers among 
regions, because if someone for whatever reason want to get resources and keep 
them non-legacy, can just come to RIPE for that. This is good for RIPE? I don't 
think so, we could keep growing the non-legacy resources, while other regions 
get "cleaned".
        
        Regards,
        Jordi
        @jordipalet
         
        
        El 15/7/19 10:05, "address-policy-wg en nombre de Tore Anderson" 
<[email protected] en nombre de [email protected]> escribió:
        
            * Gert Doering
            
            > On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 01:37:19PM +0200, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ 
via address-policy-wg wrote:
            >> I keep thinking that ripe-682 (RIPE resource transfer policies), 
should have a provision (as it is the case in all the other RIRs), in order to 
"convert" the legacy resources to non-legacy, when they got transferred.
            > 
            > What is it that you want to achieve with this?
            
            +1
            
            I've read this entire thread and I still have no idea what the 
motivation for this (pre-)proposal actually is. Is it a solution in search of a 
problem?
            
            Maybe if you could explain by example, Jordi?
            
            Were you involved in a transfer of legacy resources and stumbled 
across some kind of obstacle caused by current policies (that this proposal 
addresses)?
            
            Tore
            
            
        
        
        
        **********************************************
        IPv4 is over
        Are you ready for the new Internet ?
        http://www.theipv6company.com
        The IPv6 Company
        
        This electronic message contains information which may be privileged or 
confidential. The information is intended to be for the exclusive use of the 
individual(s) named above and further non-explicilty authorized disclosure, 
copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information, even if 
partially, including attached files, is strictly prohibited and will be 
considered a criminal offense. If you are not the intended recipient be aware 
that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this 
information, even if partially, including attached files, is strictly 
prohibited, will be considered a criminal offense, so you must reply to the 
original sender to inform about this communication and delete it.
        
        
        
        
        
        
    
    



**********************************************
IPv4 is over
Are you ready for the new Internet ?
http://www.theipv6company.com
The IPv6 Company

This electronic message contains information which may be privileged or 
confidential. The information is intended to be for the exclusive use of the 
individual(s) named above and further non-explicilty authorized disclosure, 
copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information, even if 
partially, including attached files, is strictly prohibited and will be 
considered a criminal offense. If you are not the intended recipient be aware 
that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this 
information, even if partially, including attached files, is strictly 
prohibited, will be considered a criminal offense, so you must reply to the 
original sender to inform about this communication and delete it.





Reply via email to