On Wed, 6 Feb 2019, Daniel Karrenberg wrote:
(...)
... Keep /22 possibility so the
complete runout of IPv4 won't be postponed.
See above. I do not see the point about 'complete runout'. We *have* run
out already. This is about the very very tail end.
Allow me to disagree.
People are still getting IPv4 addresses from the NCC. "Declaring runout"
is not exactly the same as stopping handing out IPv4 addresses.
Even when the pools reach ZERO, if 1000 LIRs stop paying fees (and that's
only one example/route), the "runout" will be temporarily reverted, and
handing out IPv4 addresses will be again, in theory, possible.
The "reversion" won't happen if there is a policy in place stating
RIPE NCC will not allocate any more IPv4 addresses -- who wants to
propose that? I don't.
Disclaimer: I have been advocating and deploying IPv6 since ~2001. I just
think reducing by decree/policy the ability of people to use/deploy IPv4
is not the correct way to go.
Cheers,
Carlos
Daniel