Hi Sander,

To make it more clear what I mean, a /24 will not be enough to connect a say 
/29 IPv6 to the v4 world, a /22 ( or any range of addresses up to a /22 in size 
) is not enough either. Therefore I support the current policy, and am against 
the new proposal.

Rgds,

Ray
 

-----Original Message-----
From: Sander Steffann <[email protected]> 
Sent: 4. helmikuuta 2019 15:11
To: Jetten Raymond <[email protected]>
Cc: Marco Schmidt <[email protected]>; [email protected]
Subject: Re: [address-policy-wg] 2019-02 New Policy Proposal (Reducing IPv4 
Allocations to a /24)

Hi Raymond,

> I strongly oppose this proposal, a similar proposal was mode before, 
> (2017-03) , 
> and I agree with the arguments opposing the proposal.

2017-03 was a different kind of proposal. At that time the choice was between 
handing out /22 or handing out /24 to all new LIRs. While I did think back then 
that this was a good idea I understood the reasons against that proposal. LIRs 
that would get a /22 under the old policy would then get a /24, making things 
worse for those LIRs. It would also delay the moment that the NCC would hit the 
bottom by a very long time, therefore potentially giving the impression that 
IPv4 was still available.

Your concluding argument for that proposal was "A /22 is not even enough, let 
alone a /24 to yet connect to the "dark ages of the IPv4 internet", not now and 
unfortunately not in the future either...". 

And at the time that was a valid argument, because of those LIRs that otherwise 
would get a /22. For this proposal the circumstances have changed though. Now 
the choice is between giving the new LIRs that come after the /22s have run out 
a /24 or nothing at all. The analysis from the NCC has shown that if we make a 
waiting list with /22s the queue will grow indefinitely, which means that the 
vast majority of the LIRs will never get anything at all. With a /24 allocation 
size the waiting list becomes manageable and more predictable.

I don't think that choosing to give them nothing when we could have given them 
a /24 is a reasonable argument at the point in time when we have already run 
out of /22s...

Cheers,
Sander


Reply via email to