On Friday, June 27, 2003 9:22 am, J. Joe Wang wrote:
> Any suggestions for the upgrade to Xfree86 4.3.0? Can I upgrade the
> XFree86 without doing any damage to the system? Is it difficult? Sorry
> for so many questions, I have no experience on it at all.

Oops, I forgot that this is what you were really asking about.

Installing XFree86 is getting to be almost... easy.  If the team got rid of 
that silly recursive make crap I might actually like doing it. :^)

First you should consider getting a ready-to-go binary from your distributor.  
If an up-to-date one isn't available or is modified to its detriment, then 
compile X for yourself.

Despite not being officially for 4.3.0, this guide gives fairly good coverage:
http://hints.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/old/XFree86_4.2.99.4.txt
It works for me, at least.  Of course, feel free to use your distributor's 
prepackaged versions of the stuff it depends on, like libpng.  Unfortunately 
this guide is marked "old" and is not being maintained, so check for newer 
versions of stuff it refers to.

If you have an already-working copy of XFree86, keep it around in case 
something goes wrong.

-- 
Andy Goth  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  http://ioioio.net/
End communication.

_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to