Hi Andy,
thanks a lot for the reply to my stupid question!! (:P, I am a dump for
the X system)
Yeah, you are right, I can telnet to the machine and kill the X. I am
just wondering what is wrong with it. Or the XFree86 is just such
unstable? (I have to use a X window system, since there is only one
Linux box in our lab. Somebody on the Redhat mailing list told me never
install X on server, but I have to use it to do some work)
Any suggestions for the upgrade to Xfree86 4.3.0? Can I upgrade the
XFree86 without doing any damage to the system? Is it difficult? Sorry
for so many questions, I have no experience on it at all.
Again, Thank you very much for the help!
Best,
Joe
On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 00:14, Andy Goth wrote:
> On Thursday, June 26, 2003 2:22 pm, J. Joe Wang wrote:
> > I met a problem with the XFree86 of my RH7.2 box. Hope somebody can help
> > me out. Thanks in advance!
> >
> > The problem is the machine usually (happened per 1-3 days) goes into a
> > status that there is no response from the X Windows system at all. All
> > the stuff on the screen stopped. There is no response too when I pushed
> > the "Num Lock" button. But some services are ok (apache http service,
> > ftp service and etc).
>
> Can you telnet or ssh to the machine? From there you can try killing X to see
> if that brings about any response. Or you could try starting a secondary X
> server ("startx -- :1" might work).
>
> Probably if Num Lock fails to respond, Ctrl+Alt+F1 and Ctrl+Alt+Backspace
> won't work either, but try them anyway.
>
> You should probably upgrade to XFree86 4.3.0. You're using 4.1.0, and
> possibly a copy mangled by Red Hat.
>
> On my machine, when I try to start X with dri support, I get a blank screen
> yet Num Lock still works. When I telnet in to kill X, the machine halts and
> I am forced to reboot. Therefore, you should try to save all important data
> and issue the "sync" command before attempting to kill X. (I have to use
> kill -9 since XFree86 gets so screwed up that it ignores SIGTERM.)
_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86