On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, Mark Vojkovich wrote:
>On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> Hello
>> 
>> I am getting the message "I cannot start the X server (your graphical
>> interface) It is likely that it is not set up corectly. Would you like
>> to view the X server output to diagnose the problem?" 
<snip>
>> The software is RHL rel 8.0, kernel 2.4.18-18.8.0 on an i686 and I'll
>> attach the Xfree86.log file. 
>> 
>> I am new to Linux. Any help or redirection will be much appreciated.
>
>  You need to start your font server (xfs).
>
>  In my opinion, the configuration program that came with your
>distribution is broken for configuring the server to require one,
>yet not ensuring that one was running.
>

Hmm, my default configured Red Hat 8.0 box runs "xfs" just fine after
being configured with "redhat-config-xfree86".  The OP must have
explicitly switched off "xfs" for whatever runlevel he's in.  What he
needs to do is to become familiar with the "/sbin/service" command and
also with "/sbin/chkconfig" and to ensure that "xfs" is toggled to "on"
in runlevels 3 and 5.  Information can be found on this subject in the
copious and well-written Red Hat 8.0 manuals that come with the
distribution and are available under GNOMEMenu->Documentation.  An
examination of the archives of this mailing list at marc.theaimsgroup
will also reveal the answer to this question.

HTH,
Oisin Feeley

_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to