I have another question about that document:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Legal/Foundation_Policy_and_Political_Association_Guideline

In particular, I believe this part is out of date:

> Legislative Activities (Lobbying)
>
> At the federal level, there are serious restrictions on lobbying, including 
> “direct” and “grassroots” efforts:
>
> Direct lobbying consists of “attempts to influence a legislative body through 
> communication with a member or employee of a legislative body, or with a 
> government official who participates in formulating legislation.”
> Grassroots lobbying consists of “attempts to influence legislation by 
> attempting to affect the opinion of the public with respect to the 
> legislation and encouraging the audience to take action with respect to the 
> legislation. In either case, the communications must refer to and reflect a 
> view on the legislation.”

I believe there has since been case law from the Supreme Court
allowing nonprofits including advocacy organizations, churches, and
civic groups, to communicate with legislators and attempt to influence
public opinion. I note that the irs.gov links from those paragraphs
are now dead.

Please correct me if I am mistaken.



On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 11:19 AM James Salsman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Legal/Foundation_Policy_and_Political_Association_Guideline
>
> On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 8:45 AM Andy Mabbett <[email protected]> 
> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 24 Apr 2020 at 07:27, Yair Rand <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > Also importantly, the Foundation's Policy and Political Association
> > > Guideline, which was written by WMF Legal in the aftermath of SOPA
> >
> > Link, please.
> >
> > --
> > Andy Mabbett@pigsonthewing
> > http://pigsonthewing.org.uk
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: 
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines and 
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia-l
> > New messages to: [email protected]
> > Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, 
> > <mailto:[email protected]?subject=unsubscribe>

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: 
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines and 
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia-l
New messages to: [email protected]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, 
<mailto:[email protected]?subject=unsubscribe>

Reply via email to